GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger Side Rattle Fixed!!!!

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I FIXED THE DAMN PASSENGER SIDE RATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!

2016 GTI S 3-door, I would hear the loudest and most annoying rattle between 1850-2550 rpm and especially so when I let off the throttle. What makes it more annoying is that those are the rpms which people are in 90% of the time when driving.

At first I thought it was from the B-pillar, but I couldn't pin point the source from anywhere inside the car on the passenger side. Even when I am in my driveway and giving the throttle.

I found the following video (MK6 but same applies) and performed the same operation on my MK7 and it worked!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVQu1JHra_s

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Had that on a new 17. Forum search found it and I did the DIY. Yes incredibly annoying.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I FIXED THE DAMN PASSENGER SIDE RATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!

2016 GTI S 3-door, I would hear the loudest and most annoying rattle between 1850-2550 rpm and especially so when I let off the throttle. What makes it more annoying is that those are the rpms which people are in 90% of the time when driving.

At first I thought it was from the B-pillar, but I couldn't pin point the source from anywhere inside the car on the passenger side. Even when I am in my driveway and giving the throttle.

I found the following video (MK6 but same applies) and performed the same operation on my MK7 and it worked!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVQu1JHra_s

Had that on a new 17. Forum search found it and I did the DIY. Yes incredibly annoying.

Fuel line rattle was well documented on early MK7s, fairly certain there was even a TSB for that. I believe the fix is they place expanding insulating foam in there to hold them in place.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
thanks so much!

I have a couple rattles.

1. mine sounds like it's passenger side, while driving. I can reach over to the pass door pull and grab it and it stops. I figure it's in the door but your discovery may be another place to look.

2. I have a really annoying rattle at idle, when ac is off and car is in D, S, or R at a stop. I think it's rough idle combined with the trans selector cable rattling against the heat shield: putting some dampening material seems to help with the symptom.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Fuel line rattle was well documented on early MK7s, fairly certain there was even a TSB for that. I believe the fix is they place expanding insulating foam in there to hold them in place.

I feel like the fuel line rattle goes all the way back to MKV haha.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Right. I was surprised to drive off the lot with my 17 like that. Fixed it the next day even though it was a PITA.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
My MK7.5 2019 GTI has this annoying rattle as well. That video posted kinda sucks. It's hard to really see what trim parts I need to remove / get around. Anyone take photos during their rattle fix?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
1. mine sounds like it's passenger side, while driving. I can reach over to the pass door pull and grab it and it stops. I figure it's in the door but your discovery may be another place to look.
That rattle was driving me crazy, the loud exhaust made it worse. I bought *this* recently and only installed the passenger side which helped a good bit. There's still some of the rattle left though. I'll try this zip tie fix later when I can get under the car

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
thanks so much!

I have a couple rattles.

2. I have a really annoying rattle at idle, when ac is off and car is in D, S, or R at a stop. I think it's rough idle combined with the trans selector cable rattling against the heat shield: putting some dampening material seems to help with the symptom.
on #2, I eventually replaced oe motor and trans mounts with oem parts and it is now better than new. Still have trans cable dampening though.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
My MK7.5 2019 GTI has this annoying rattle as well. That video posted kinda sucks. It's hard to really see what trim parts I need to remove / get around. Anyone take photos during their rattle fix?
Mine is driving me nuts!!!

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

I have a god awful rattle that annoys the shit out of me on my passenger side too... Can't be bother to sort it out myself, going to drop it off at a dealership to have them deal with it. I'll let you know what they do (if anything) to fix it.

scotthilly

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
I had a passenger side rattle that was awful. I first thought it was the glove compartment plastic piece, so I removed it - nope. I took it to the dealer asuming fuel lines.

The dealer said they inspected fuel limes and they were perfect, but the rattle is totally gone now! It happened for 5k miles straight and is gone after inspection. Weird, but I’m happy.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
I have a god awful rattle that annoys the shit out of me on my passenger side too... Can't be bother to sort it out myself, going to drop it off at a dealership to have them deal with it. I'll let you know what they do (if anything) to fix it.

Good idea I was planning on doing the same at some point

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

drivin.jpg

Proxima2

Ready to race!
I did the expanding foam fix and it worked. Go to the hardware store and grab a can of expanding insulation foam. Use tube attachment on the nozzle and squirt that into the holes running below the passenger door running aft just inside the running boards. Worked like a champ.