GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passat 16" wheels on GTI?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Hi,
Newbie to this forum. The screen name refers to my introduction to Volkswagen, my first VW is/was a Jetta 1.8t. Will be trading the Jetta this week, I am preparing to pick up a new '06 GTI that has the 18" Huffs w/summer tires. As it is below freezing temps and snowing still, I intend to immediately mount winter wheels and tires. i.e. I will buy the wheels and tires before I pick up the new car Wednesday. Will mount the winter set at the dealer, before driving it from the dealer in Detroit to Cincy in what is forecast to be snow.) I have found locally some used 16" VW alloys that are OEM on a Passat, priced below new aftermarket steelies. Anyway,

Can I assume all 5x112 16" OEM Passat alloys will safely fit the gti?

I would be mounting 205/55-16 winter tires. The used wheel seller has provided no specific info - no model name, no offset, etc., just a picture of the wheels on a Passat. I will pick them up in person (in my home town), so I can confirm they are not damaged, but I can't confirm they will fit and clear until after I own them. Thanks for any assistance;)

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Yes, they will fit; but nothing smaller than a 16" wheel because of the size of the front rotors.

erick.s

Autocross Champion
They'll fit but they'll poke. Passat offset is ET35 and the MKV GTI with 18s is ET51. The bolt pattern is the same though so you can mount those wheels on the GTI. If you don't lower the car it should work fine, but down the road if you drop it you'll probably rub.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
thank you

Thanks, this will solve my winter wheel needs within budget :biggrin: no plans to lower it just yet, although I was considering a drop to the level of the '07 gti

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
follow up. the used wheels I found turned out to be 16" x 7" et37 - 205/55HR-16 Dunlop Winter Sport M3

First 1,500 miles (in 3 days) - no clearance problems, never rubbed. No baseline reference on how they handle, the dealer put them on for me before I left the lot. I was pretty pleased, already driven through W MD mountians in a snow storm, surprised how good they gripped actually. Can't wait for spring ...

removed at purchase (102 test drive miles)

Last edited:

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
wow, i like the passat wheels, i think i want some but i want the 18 samarklands those r sick wheels. does having winter setup suck ??

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
wow, i like the passat wheels, i think i want some but i want the 18 samarklands those r sick wheels.
does having winter setup suck ??
well, winter sucks. but if you have to drive in it, winter setups suck less.

And oddly enough, they actually reduce the cost of operating the vehicle,
providing you run them through the full life of the tires.

woah jetturbos first post here?
yes it was
whatta ways hes come eh?
about 118,000 miles so far :wink: and all the experience that goes with that :yikes:

The wheels in the original post turned out to be VW Vancouver,
a wheel supplied in 2002-3 with the Passat 4-motion package IIRC.

16" x 7" VW Vancouver (7Jx16H2 ET37) [VW PN 3B0 601 025 T] 205/55-16 91H Dunlop Winter Sport M3

I ran them one short winter season and then sold them.
Replaced them with VW Ditto off a Mk5 Jetta 2.0t.

16" x 6.5" VW Ditto (6.5Jx16H2 ET50) [VW PN 1K0601025BC] - 205/55R-16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60