GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Painting CF will it look like a normal panel?

Bikkemberg

Ready to race!
Hi everyone i was thinking to myself that if CF good be painted to look like our original panels i would get all the carbon fiber parts for my 07 2D MKV UG GTI

Anyone know if its possible. i dont want to see the carbon fiber look throught the paint just the paint.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
You could paint it and it would look like a body panel. Problem is, with all the primer you'd need to get a good base, it would a bit harder to match the colors to the stock piecs.

Do you want CF for looks, or for preformance? If for looks, why bother if you are going to paint it.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
You could paint it and it would look like a body panel. Problem is, with all the primer you'd need to get a good base, it would a bit harder to match the colors to the stock piecs.

Do you want CF for looks, or for preformance? If for looks, why bother if you are going to paint it.

You know how alot of people get the center part of their hood painted black to go with the grill? Well, it would be the same thing, except you would paint the outside edges to match the car. Looks pretty awesome. Thats the most logical reason for painting it I can think of.

And yes, I've seen carbon fiber painted to color match quite a few times. My advice for the OP is to forget about what anyone says here, and just go to some local body shops with good reputations and ask around there... they'll be the most knowledgable anyway.

Last edited:

tuddy

4 8 15 16 23 42

He said he doesn't want to see the carbon fiber, so i would assume he wants performance

murcielagoGTR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
91 GTI
carbon looks very cool, but if im wanting to "dust" someone, i dont want to be flashin the CF and scare the poor fucker off, bec IMO "where theres Carbon, theres mods" :rolleyes:

gti=sexy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
STI
its easy to paint CF, just make sure you use a really light (close to white) primer and go light, 2 coats. after applying 3ish coats of paint only do 2 coats of primer so it stays the right color.
Ive done a bunch of painting on my car and when I used a third coat of primer it got dark enough to show thru so the final product was a shade off, but no one notices mine.

Shifty

Pull it shave it paint it
Car(s)
2002 TDI New Beetle
I have painted CF numerous times without using primer. Primer is kinda overkill, but if you are planning to cover all the weave then I'd have it blocked down for imperfections, sealed, then painted. A nice quality CF part should be nice and smooth like a metal piece when complete.