GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OT: Ram Drives

bj240z

Anyone out there know anything about who might be making these, that use DDR2 or DDR3 modules. I know gigabyte do one, which has been around for ages, but it's limit is 4gb and it's DDR.

I'm looking for around the 16gb mark???

Anyone got any clues??

BJ

bj240z

Cheers, but a Ram drive is "typically" not a SSD. And if it is, it's only for as long as the onboard battery can power the ram modules. There are a couple of software options, which I'm testing at the moment, but I would've really liked a HW solution....

zogger

Ready to race!
Bj240z, SSD dont have a battery to run the modules its not like the old school pcb boards which used ddr2 and 4 banks. Using one would be a good idea for a Ramdrive though especially the access time and through put which exceeds that of a normal HDD (eg: 220/110MB/Sec). If you have windows7 (and not a Apple OS) then get a SSD with TRIM which will prolong its life somewhat.

I have been looking at the Falcon2 128gb but still dont think the technology is there yet so prob wait another year and see if anything new comes out or least a price drop per GB.

bj240z

Bj240z, SSD dont have a battery to run the modules its not like the old school pcb boards which used ddr2 and 4 banks. Using one would be a good idea for a Ramdrive though especially the access time and through put which exceeds that of a normal HDD (eg: 220/110MB/Sec). If you have windows7 (and not a Apple OS) then get a SSD with TRIM which will prolong its life somewhat.

I have been looking at the Falcon2 128gb but still dont think the technology is there yet so prob wait another year and see if anything new comes out or least a price drop per GB.

Yeah cheers...I've actually had a SSD in my laptop OZ Core Series V2 120gb for over a year now, so I know that that's all about...but the performance just isn't there, compared to ram sticks.

The software solution I've found will suffice for now, until SSD's become more mainstream and affordable for large scale use.