GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Operation: I hate our normal back bumper!

noelymack

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf
So i bought a GTI back bumper from eBay for £27! Bargain. Picked it up on my way back from London, stopped at halfords and bought some sand paper and primer. Then got to work on it that night, sanding down for a smooth surface and then priming. I followed the DIY on here called How to paint your lowers at home the correct way. Anyway this was my first time doing anything like this but I was proud of myself =D

I wasn't brave enough to paint it myself though, so I took it to a body shop. Because I had done all of the prep work myself he only charged me £50. Result.

I went to pick it up and it looked so good, so i started fitting it myself. And do not believe the yanks on here who say its an easy job, it's a dirty one and there are some seriously awkward bolts holding it on!
Anyway got it on and I loved it.

The only problem is the GTI has that double exhaust cutout, so when you look through mine you see a tatty looking tiny downpipe. Bad times.
So up on the ramp it went and

I had this done =D

So in total

Bumper £27
Paint £50
Exhaust £40.

Having an original back end PRICELESSS =D:thumbsup:

noelymack

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf
Yeah just a new tailpipe welded on.
Oh man what a story, well a taxi driver smashed into the back of me and when my dad phoned direct line to claim because obviously he is the main driver of the car I just have it sometimes ;) they said I'm obviously the main driver as my initials were on the reg! Idiots, I hate insurers. Anyway they said I would be covered but they would not reinsure me, so now i'm with More Than but I don't want it happening again so 16NM stays off until I'm on my own name. I also have T1OEL aswell which when spaced properly reads NOEL. =D

mdtraves

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
golf mk5
cars looking great noel!
whered you get the exhaust tips?
did you do the welding yourself?
was it just a case of cutting the exhaust back till straight and welding straight on
mike

noelymack

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf
I bought the exhaust tips from a place called LTC Tyres.
Yeah I welded them myself, mig weld.
and yeh just cut it till it was straight, but a bent section in, then weld the tips on.

Crimson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GOLF
Excellent work dude - I have to agree the rear bumper on the GT TDI's and TDI's sucks
Im still weighing up to either go down the R32 or GTI conversion route

tom619

Passed Driver's Ed
Excellent work dude - I have to agree the rear bumper on the GT TDI's and TDI's sucks
Im still weighing up to either go down the R32 or GTI conversion route

Im hoping on doing the gti conversion on my golf this summer been prowing these forums and others for tips and advice what route do you think you'll take?