GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

On / Start Volume Not Operating Correctly?

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Struggling a bit here and need a bit of assistance.

I've got a 2008 with the premium audio. I had a CDC Hardware Error with the original head unit, and this unit was replaced under warranty.

However, the on / start / start-up volume (sorry I don't have the manual with me now, so I don't recall the exact name for this feature) is not working like the old radio, nor is it working as the owner's manual states. Hopefully this is making sense.

I have adjusted in the menu the on / start / start-up volume level to the lowest possible setting, just as with the last car. I would get this is about level 5 or so.

On the old head unit, if I had the volume way up, turned off the car, when I turned the car back on, the volume would be at this level 5 (so lower than the high volume when I turned off the car).

On the old head unit, if I had the radio on level 1 (or 2,etc...up to 5) and turned the car off, upon next start, the radio would be at the exact level I left it (so level 1, or 2, etc).

This functions exactly as described in the owners manual.

The replacement head unit works properly when the volume is high and the car is shut off. When restarted the volume is at level 5. The problem is that if I have the radio at level 1, 2, etc and shut the car off, upon restart the volume goes UP to level 5. According to the owner's manual and based on the operation of the original head unit, the volume should not go UP when the car is started.

I'm overseas for a few months, making it difficult to work with the dealer. Initially I was told there was a software solution and to bring the car in. Family member took the car in for me and was informed there is no solution, that VW changed the programming and now all radios come on at level 5 (or whatever you set the ON level to be).

I can certainly deal with it when I get back, but being this board is here, are some of you able to confirm for me that my new radio is or is not operating properly? I'd particularly like to know about people who have had the head unit recently replaced, particularly as I know the CDC Hardware Error isn't terribly uncommon.

Just a bit of fact finding here to see how much I need to push this. I really don't like the radio coming on louder than when it was shut off, especially as I don't think this is operating properly.

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Ha, nada eh?

Maybe my post is too long.

Is the radio volume higher when you turn on the car than when you turn it off? Most specifically when the off volume is very low on the scale.

Thanks again.

NoIfCustoms

WTF was I thinking?!
Car(s)
'08.5 GTI DSG
either turn the auto adjustment off all together, or see if there is a source level adjustment.