GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Locking lug key replacement

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Will I have to go through the dealership to replace the key for my OEM locking lugs? The one that came with my car is starting to round off and I almost wasn't able to get my lats wheel off when I changed over to my summer set. 1/8th of an inch of engagement on that tiny little racetrack-like design is not enough material to hold up to wheel changes....

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
if there is a number on it contact McGuard for a replacement...fwiw I prefer the key style on Gorrilla brand ones....if they have them for our cars it is what I'll do when the time comes. Paranoid enough I'll get the set where every lug locks. Yes I know they don't stop the pros but make it too much work for the junkies

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
if there is a number on it contact McGuard for a replacement

Yep there is a number. I can't recall what it is right now but I think they letter-code them and this one is a G or K or something.

fwiw I prefer the key style on Gorrilla brand ones....if they have them for our cars it is what I'll do when the time comes. Paranoid enough I'll get the set where every lug locks. Yes I know they don't stop the pros but make it too much work for the junkies

If OE set key wears out this fast I might get a different brand.
ECS sells a good set.

I might end up switching brands as well. I'm not impressed by the OEM ones. I've only used them to change my wheels three times total and its already wearing out. I had to use my wrench while pushing my body against it using the wall to get enough axial pressure on the head to keep it from slipping out on the last wheel

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Many of the OE VW wheel locks are nothing but an M16 triple square.

Try that if you need a key.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Many of the OE VW wheel locks are nothing but an M16 triple square.

Try that if you need a key.

This one is definitely not a triple square. It almost looks like a map of a racetrack, something like this

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 235

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
yeah from my experience you cant treat them like regular lug bolts. You have to either hand brake them first and then use and impact to pull them out or a lot of patience and lean into the wheel to keep it from slipping out. If you are extra careful a set will last you the life of the vehicle. Most people (not saying this is you) don't have the patience or don't know this.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I just ordered a set of these for the future. 5mm longer than stock but should work regardless.. I hope. I've never been a fan of stock style amoeba shaped locks.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
yeah from my experience you cant treat them like regular lug bolts. You have to either hand brake them first and then use and impact to pull them out or a lot of patience and lean into the wheel to keep it from slipping out. If you are extra careful a set will last you the life of the vehicle. Most people (not saying this is you) don't have the patience or don't know this.

Are you using an impact on it?

I would not expect that type to wear out fast.
Should be very little slipping.
Must be soft metal.

Don't use an impact and torque the lugs to spec and you won't have issues with the factory key.

I don't use an impact, not allowed at my apartment. All hand tools. The metal is very soft on them, some sort of mild steel. I can scratch it with little effort using a screwdriver. 85-90 ftlb on the torque wrench

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Reviving this thread because I procrastinate way too much and now I need to buy something for swapping the wheels out. Amazon has these https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Auto...94616&sr=8-6&keywords=ball+seat+lug+bolt+14mm

But the threads are only 1.00 inches (25.4 mm) which is 1.6mm shorter than OEM. Should be fine, but are there any concerns with the 1.6mm length difference (vibration, 1 less thread of thread engagement etc)

EDIT: Nevermind, I just went with getting OEM non-locking lugs from USP. its cheaper that way and I really dont think anybody would want to steal my Austins. That said, if you're in my area and decide you need a new Austin - 2 of mine are scratch free. Just make sure you torque yours to the proper value when you swap it out haha

Last edited: