GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Non-VW coolant

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
So apparently there is some voodoo if you mix traditional antifreeze with VW G12? I bought some Peak Long Life and the guys on mk6 are telling me that I need to flush everything or the earth will end inside my engine. I did my research and it's been in the 09 for quite awhile.
Does anyone have personal experience with this happening or not happening? I'm really not worried about it, just curious.

fastwire

Ready to race!
So apparently there is some voodoo if you mix traditional antifreeze with VW G12? I bought some Peak Long Life and the guys on mk6 are telling me that I need to flush everything or the earth will end inside my engine. I did my research and it's been in the 09 for quite awhile.
Does anyone have personal experience with this happening or not happening? I'm really not worried about it, just curious.

this happened to me.

I didn't know nothing about german cars when I got it, so, first thing was to top off the coolant with the green crap.

It just didn't blend and from pink it turned dark brown, so I did flush it with fresh G12+ just for peace of mind.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sludge is the perfect word for it. I haven't done it, but I've seen it happen.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
How long does it take to happen? It's been in the car over a year and I never saw anything unusual.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
it eats up the orings and the plastic housings. Ive seen it eat up the coolant passages in the head before

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
How long does it take to happen? It's been in the car over a year and I never saw anything unusual.

Unless you have popped open some hoses I wouldn't take what you see in the coolant bubble as representative of whats floating around in the system. You done goofed and you should flush it ASAP.

Mixing the regular green stuff, dexcool, or that works with anything stuff will make sludge. Just add water until you can get the right stuff next time.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It is a pressurized system, so I think what we see in the reservoir is similar to what's in the hoses. I know the regular antifreeze is not compatible, however the threads I can find are 7 years old. I think the new Peak has proprietary chemistry, no issues. It claims compatible with all makes and colors. I will pull a hose next service to confirm. Thanks for the input guys.
Edit here is a link
http://www.peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/long-life-full-strength/