NHTSA OPENS FEDERAL INVESTIGATION INTO DSG FAILURES

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
subsrcibed

formul8

My GLI farts
Car(s)
2006 GLI
The DSG in my car was slamming between 1-2 on slow rolls and downshifts and into reverse. They replaced the mechatronics and so far seems ok. Never got the flashing lights of death and took a few weeks to get the parts.

One nice thing is it saved me $400 on the DSG flush @ 40K because that is part of the repair.

Teutonic_Tamer

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted
Car(s)
07 Golf Mk5 GTI DSG
It doesn't matter what you did or didn't do to your car. If you have had repair work to the DSG by your dealer under warranty, or not under warranty, if you had your car totally tricked out or not... if you flashed the tranny or not... it does not matter!

Huh, are you for real??????

HTF can Volkswagen be expected to be liable for faults caused to the DSG transmission, when the transmission (or engine output) has been modified beyond what Volkswagen designed it for!

You really need to wake up and smell the coffee . . . :thumbdown:

Teutonic_Tamer

GreasedMonkey HoofHearted
Car(s)
07 Golf Mk5 GTI DSG
Had that problem. Replacing mechatronics fixed it.

And that is exactly what a warranty is for. :wink:

However, now I'm getting about 50% of the time hard drops into first, or the car won't actually go into first until I make a 100% dead stop. Otherwise starts in second.

And that is working exactly as it was designed. In very slow moving traffic, the DSG will only drop into 1st when the car comes to a dead stop. But if you don't like it that way, use the manual mode.

You can search my feelings on the DSG. Cool tech, but overall, not incredibly impressed. My opinion, automatics from Cadillac, BMW, Infiniti work just as well as the DSG but dont thud, clunk, get caught all flustered, etc. And they don't cost thousands to work on.

Erm - that is because the DSG is NOT a conventional automatic slushbox. It is actually an automated manual, and needs to swap between physical gear 'cogs' - hence the occasional noise.