GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to car modifications - Help

NYGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm very new to car mods and this is my first new car. I'm excited to see what I can do with my new GTI so this is a request for information as to things I should look into and what I should read up on. I don't want to be one of those guys that throws a fat exhaust pipe on and thinks he's awesome. I want to be knowledgeable and converse with others to gain information. Thanks in advance!

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
My advise would be to read the different sections of this forum... I you want to know about ECU chips, exhausts and other performance mods check this section

for suspension, wheels and tires check this section

and audio/ video check this section

hope this helps... right now there are only a few tuners that make stuff for our cars and it will not take to long looking in the forums to find out about them

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Most common Performance mods- Chipped ECU(big gains, little price tag) Full Exhaust(not just a muffler), some kind of Intake to increase Flow(not Cold air since we have a turbo)

Exterior mods alot of people do, color matched side markers, debadging the GTI's off the front and the rear, i am working on painting my VW badges flat black as im typing this

wheels, springs are things to think of as well, but for me, right now im staying w/ my 17"s till i can find some helios :)

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
I'd say, enjoy the stockness while it lasts... coz modding is like pringles, once you pop you can't stop

NYGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Dude, that's awesome! I will go get education and my birthday is coming up, what better present could I ask for?

MKVboi

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Plyngntrffc said:
Most common Performance mods- Chipped ECU(big gains, little price tag) Full Exhaust(not just a muffler), some kind of Intake to increase Flow(not Cold air since we have a turbo)

Why not CAI with turbo?

NYGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm curious as to why no cold air intake with a turbo as well; I know the gains are minimal, but there is some difference right?