GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New project

plac

GTI Master
Might cut where the red lines are.

I kind of want to leave the wood as-is. I have no leaks and this will be under double carpet.

Last edited:

plac

GTI Master
I made the cuts on all 4 sides. Now it doesnt hit on any corner when i tap it. I hope my local car audio store has carpet. I'll ask them when I pick up my gear in a few days. The most fun of a car audio project for me is building the amp rack itself. I can't wait to start screwing down the components. The least fun part is running the wires from the front to the back of the car. I will have to solder extentions on my plug and play harness speaker wires... 16 wires to be exact..

plac

GTI Master
HELP!

All these sills are a bitch. I broke one silver sill clip already. I'll have to buy a set.

I got the dead pedal off after finding out it had a bolt in it. Broke 2 tabs off that, I'll prob replace it.

Have the main sill off, end to end.

Can't figure out how to get the drivers kick off, with the hood handle in the way.

Checking into my Bentley now..

plac

GTI Master
ah i got it. i found the clip on the back of the hood lever.

I have my deck out, and I am running all my speaker wires to the amp rack now. That will solve a lot of time later. I was about to start extending all the wires and found I am out of shrink tubing. I have to make a trip to the store, I dont want to take shortcuts.

plac

GTI Master
Went to Home Depot to get some supplies. Wire loom, shrink tubing, tie wraps, and screw down tie wraps.

Extended the plug and play harness labeling this first one INPUT:

Loomed it up to make it look clean.

Wiring brought back to trunk, ready to install at amp rack. INPUT on right, OUTPUT on left.

Tied both sides together temporarily to keep my stock music flowing until my amps get here.

I thought the entire job might be 8 hours.. That was a joke. this wiring alone took me 4-5 hours at least. I'm glad I decided to do it ahead of time. I left my door sills off to run my 4 gauge power once it arrives.

Last edited:

cwhite09GTI

Daily Racer
make sure you run ur RCA on one side and the power on the other side of the car...prevents interference

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Try doing a car computer and see how many wires you end up with. It's fucking mind boggling to say the least.

On a more on topic note, good work so far man! :thumbsup:

plac

GTI Master
make sure you run ur RCA on one side and the power on the other side of the car...prevents interference

Although thats a myth from the 90's, I appreciate the input anyway.

But my RCAs will be 1 foot long on the amp rack only.

shartz

Ready to race!
Man. I really wish I could without a spare. I prefer this mounting location over the back of my seats, but I've had too many flats to justify that.

plac

GTI Master
My power cable fuse holder positioning. I did have to swing it a bit lower to make room for the air box tube.

Utilizing the factory bus bar for my 12V power source. Nicely oem.

Ground point in trunk. Brake light stud/bolt worn to bare metal.

Rack finally carpeted. Power and ground ready to go. 1 ARC amp in place.

Last edited:

plac

GTI Master
Found out the AutoSense on the ARC amplifiers does not work when put thru any other device first. It only works when you have the speaker/inputs directly into the amp with input switch in "hi-level" position.

Luckily the Audio Control LC6i has remote out, so that remote out will feed both my ARC amps.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What size nut does the factory buss bar take on those studs?

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
Lookin good Plac, you're right in the thick of it. You ought to have some killer ass sound when you're done, keep going man.

Your car's coming along nicely. Makes me feel like a dead beat modder. :biggrin:

plac

GTI Master
What size nut does the factory buss bar take on those studs?

i wish i knew. i went thru 20 nuts in my misc drawer before finding one that fit. I had 3 studs on the bus bar which had no nuts.

plac

GTI Master
Lookin good Plac, you're right in the thick of it. You ought to have some killer ass sound when you're done, keep going man.

Your car's coming along nicely. Makes me feel like a dead beat modder. :biggrin:

I'm in the home stretch. All I have to do now is build my amp rack in the comfort of my house. Then just bring it out and attach the power/ground/speaker wires.

Then as soon as its done I'll start obsessing about a subwoofer.

Once the sub is finally in, I'll start obsessing about front speakers.