NEW Öhlins coilovers

miamirice

Ready to race!
:yikes: Oops. I mean r2. Eibach R2.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I have Koni 8041's on my M3, dual adjustable and valved for 600-700 lb springs (GC full race coilover kit). I ran a DE this last weekend at Roebling, we had a bunch of E36 M3's show up, my "cheap" Koni setup was as fast as the guys running MCS and other very expensive systems.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
It really seems that way. Gets me everything I want (linear springs, camber plates, and custom valved shocks/struts) for less than any of the good kits. I paid $1,650 for both my PSS10s and KWV3s for my GTI. R kits are about 2k if I recall.

Boston, have you done any research on the IE camber plates? Thoughts?
http://www.performancebyie.com/integrated-engineering-adjustable-camber-plates-for-mk5-mk6-chassis

The IE plates look decent, but GC plates are far easier to adjust, you simply loosen the 3 top mount nuts and slide the plate in/out for camber adjust. The IE design requires strut tower cutting or removing the strut for adjustment. Your alignment guy will thank you for ease of the GC's adjustment.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
The IE plates look decent, but GC plates are far easier to adjust, you simply loosen the 3 top mount nuts and slide the plate in/out for camber adjust. The IE design requires strut tower cutting or removing the strut for adjustment. Your alignment guy will thank you for ease of the GC's adjustment.

Thanks for the info.

So I just drove a BRZ limited at autocross and I'm shell shocked to say the least. It is making me question whether or not I want to keep/put any more money into the R.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I've driven a stock BRZ at speed at a HPDE, even with the skinny little Prius tires its a good handling car, with a few mods it should fly. Even with its limited power its easy to get it into throttle steering, so its a lot of fun.

JRutter

old man
Will Ground Control Camber plates work with the Ohlins Road and Track?

Yes, but I know two people who had them fail when used with the R&T - not sure of the details, but they removed them.

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Ok, started saving for the Ohlins which hopefully will be on the car by next spring. As it doesn't come with camber plates I'm thinking of going with one of the following (since they are meant to be used with OEM upper mounts, I suppose they are compatible with all mk5 aftermarket camber plates) :

- http://www.performancebyie.com/integrated-engineering-adjustable-camber-plates-for-mk5-mk6-chassis
- http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=870/CA=195
- http://www.esetuning.com/VWR-Volkswagen-Racingline-Solid-Top-Mounts-p/vwr43g500.htm

Any advice here ?

I should add these on the list > http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=120_203&products_id=262

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion

Maximum6

FASTER

the IE website information is off i think. It states the camber plates work with stock spring diameter, but then it states 60mm is the measurement. I thought stock springs are 85mm...at least according to Ground Control Camber plates

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Spoke to Vorshlag and they've said for Ohlins ID65mm springs I'll have to choose 2.5" perches (they have 2.25", 60mm and 2.5"). Tryied to find out from Ohlins if they can provide me the coilover with stiffer springs and how much stiffer without revalving but no answer. If they can't or don't want to sell the R&T with stiffer spring I can get them from Eibach or Swift but it will be extra money and I still need an answer from Ohlins to say how much stiffer can I go than what they provide (70N/mm & 60N/mm)

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
So, the springs included in the R&T kit are :

F > ID65, 70N/mm (400lbs/in), 180mm length (178mm on the drawing)
R > ID65, 60N/mm (342lbs/in), 200mm length

Now, on Sfift's page > http://www.swiftsprings.net/products/universal/metric-coilover-springs-65.html we find the following :

F > ID65 > 7" length (177.8mm) > Spring rates of interest for me would be 80 and 90N/mm as I don't suppose I can go higher without revalving

R > ID65 > 8" length (203.2mm) > Spring rates of interest for me would be 70 and 80N/mm as I don't suppose I can go higher without revalving

They also give usable stroke and max stroke of the spring which decreases with the increase of stiffness. I wonder how much can this influence the ride/balance of the car ! I'm also supposing, the stiffer the spring, the higher the car will be with the spring preload adjuster on the same position !

JRutter

old man
do you have a link to their thread? want to read up on what happened.

So are people using Integrated Engineering camber plates?

Sorry - just saw this. I don't think that they did build threads. Both have the same car as me - the A3 quattro 3.2. They used shorter, stiffer springs than I did. Their issues came up in PMs and texts as I was researching my build. Here is one comment cut and pasted regarding the GC plates. I didn't follow up to see exactly what failed. Sorry for the second hand info...

"I am running 10", 500lb rear springs, and 7", 400lb front springs. I have a pair of 7", 350lb front springs that I will be installing shortly (to get my front wheel rate and front:rear natural frequencies where I want them). While I don't have any long-term camber plate testing, I'm hesitant to recommend them based on one of mine failing in only a couple of thousand KM, and Ceese also having two fail in as much time."