GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MST2 Congo&Duke Activator didn't work?

Whiskers181

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTI
I downloaded V3.0_Unbroken of the activator and followed the ReadMe instructions. Put the SD card into Slot 1 and it ran all the way to the end. Got to the summary screen, hit back, then cancel, the unit rebooted, but it still says "Component Protection Active" across the screen.

I had a look at the log file and nothing stands out as wrong, however I'll be the first to admit I don't know what I'm looking for. My log file is below, any ideas on what went wrong?

Thanks!

Code:
Activator for MST2 Scale made by Congo & Duke
SWAPSE: 1
METASE: 1
SW rev: 1506
Device type: STD2Nav
Brand: VW
Device region: EU
FW ver: MST2_EU_VW_P0628D
FW MU ver: 0751
HW: 840
FAZIT: GRO-63314.07.1606010395
Patch for /tmp/developer successful. Check ReadMe.txt how to use it.
Metainfo patch successful.
SWaP patch applied successful.
EL list created successfully.
Adding 00030000 to FEC list.
Adding 00040100 to FEC list.
Adding 00050000 to FEC list.
Adding 00060100 to FEC list.
Adding 00060200 to FEC list.
Adding 00060300 to FEC list.
Adding 00060400 to FEC list.
Adding 00060800 to FEC list.
Adding 00060900 to FEC list.
Adding 00070100 to FEC list.
Adding 00070200 to FEC list.
Adding 00070400 to FEC list.
Adding 09400008 to FEC list.
Adding 09410008 to FEC list.
Adding 094D0008 to FEC list.
Adding 094200ee to FEC list.
Found FECs in pg dir, will use VIN and VCRN from them.
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1102
Parse 1107

Whiskers181

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTI
should probably also add, I still have faults on the dash from removing the battery when installing the unit and I didn't unlock developer mode via OBD11. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Should I take it for a drive to clear the faults or update the firmware to MST2_EU_VW_P0642D (MU: 0764) and try again?

FW on mibsolution is MST2_EU_VW_K0642D_MU0764_SVM_P631, I guess that's the right one?

Whiskers181

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTI
realised what I was doing wrong in case anyone else makes the same misunderstanding as me.

When I read that Congo was an All-in-One tool, I thought it would activate android auto / car play and also handle the CP patching. When I saw that CP patches are in the "Old Manual Solution" subfolder on MIBSolution, it seemed to match with that way of thinking. However, it seems Congo doesn't do CP patching for retrofitted units, only activating of FECs. If anything was retrofitted, you need to patch CP too.

There was no patch file for firmware 628, so I updated to 635, downloaded the patch file, and manually patched via ethernet/PuTTY to get it to work. I now have a CP fault code (U110100) in Gateway Module 19 that I don't think you can get rid of without ODIS but it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Last edited:

Whiskers181

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTI
Congo does CP patching for retrofitted units. Zero need to do ethernet/putty.
I updated the firmware last weekend and had to patch CP again, and still couldn't get it to patch CP via MST2 activator by Congo & Duke. I had the activator and the delphibin.ifs patch file on the root of the same SD card and nothing happened. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm missing the Delphi.sh file. The file isn't included with the Congo V3.0 download, I can't find it on MIBSolution.one or MIBWiki.one, and the readme instructions aren't particularly clear either.

I'm guessing the file contains just the commands I was putting into PuTTY but I'm not sure and considering there's warnings that you may brick the unit, I didn't want to mess around with it too much when the PuTTY route was easy enough to follow along with and would have taken longer for me to figure out how to create the delphi.sh script.

I don't imagine there'll be new firmware's for such an old MIB unit now so I guess I'm done messing with it, but if you want to share where to get the delphi.sh file, I'd be interested to see where I was overlooking.

Last edited:

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
I just patched my Delphi a couple of months ago. Didn't do anything with the delphibin.ifs file or the .sh script. Just ran the patch and CP was removed and all FECs activated. Have the sport gauges now and everything. Might be dependent on which Delphi firmware you're using.

Whiskers181

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTI
Congo just activates the FECs, I got the thinkblue trainer and sports gauges activated without doing anything too (I only wanted AA, don't really care for digital gauges). I'm positive Congo doesn't/can't remove CP without the patched delphibin.ifs and .sh file to run it.

The Congo readme says "This activation also enables the option to automatically runs scripts from SD card. To use that prepare SD card with a file called delphi.sh on it." Where that file is or how to prepare it, it doesn't say and the official/current Congo download "MST2_Activator_Made_By_Congo_and_Duke_v3.0_Unbroken.zip" doesn't include the files. (official/current guide: https://mibwiki.one/doc/mst2-activator-by-congo-duke-official-way-Vm8z3TWPPL)

However, I just found an archived guide on mibwiki (https://mibwiki.one/doc/attention-m...h-autobackup-unit-could-be-bricked-BZSWMHrSq5). That includes a download link to "MST2_Activator_Made_By_Congo_and_Duke_v3.0_with_Autobackup_by_lprot". That variant of Congo includes the CP patches (for VW firmwares 867, 890, 879, 635, and 314) and a delphi.sh file, which contains a script for backup and patching delphibin.ifs. Although the script only seems to patch FWs 879 (nav, plus, & std), 635 (plus only), and 314 if I understand it correctly.

Looks like I would have needed to go the PuTTY route anyway since I went to 642 Nav and I don't trust myself enough to modify that script. Mystery solved but shame I'll never need it again, all going well!