GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

motor review of new GTI engine

amrjon

Ready to race!
well sort of.

Short story in new motor on the audi A4 2.0T quattro.
Reported to have the same engine at the next GTI.

Report is brief but full of praise for the engine.
155kw/350Nm.

just FYI.

Last edited:

amrjon

Ready to race!
Big torque gain

Yeah thats what I thought. They talk up the torque and mid range.

Looks like a nice car actually.

OK boys since you asked nicely (not really)

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I think the Mk VI Golf GTI won't get the variable cam timing version - VAG will want to maintain the brand differentiation between Audi and VW to justify the (large) price difference you know ;)

The septics have been getting the fixed cam timing version of this new engine for ages (in their Golf GTI), and I believe that will be the one we get in the Mk VI GTI. So far it has very similar outputs to our current (cam belt) GTI engine, but the new one gets going at slightly lower revs, and doesn't have quite the same power at high revs.

But then again, I could be completely wrong - what would I know, I'm not a paid journalist ;)

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
According to someone over at VWWC, some specs for the Oz version of the R20/GTI-R have been released : AWD and 200Kw. There was some earlier speculation that the power may have been closer to 250Kw, but apparently not so (well not for Oz, anyway).

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
350Nm matches the overseas spec S3 engine (Aus spec detuned to 188kW/330Nm).

That's an impressive gain from the Mk5's 280Nm if true. :thumbsup:

Vagabond

Great Teutonic Invention
Car(s)
2009 S3 Sportback
According to someone over at VWWC, some specs for the Oz version of the R20/GTI-R have been released : AWD and 200Kw.

A mate of mine recently purchased a TTS and I noticed that the exhaust was quite loud compared to the S3 that I test-drove a couple of months ago which seemed quite refined.
I'm guessing this is where the extra few Kw have come from over the S3?

mrgolf

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldnt be surprised if the GTI had the 155kw, but torque was capped at around 300nm.

The fact that the power gain is only 8kw, while torque has jumped so much suggests the engine has a lot more power to give... They undercooked it to get the economy???

Burgs

Silver Nugget
Car(s)
2008 VW Golf GTI
The fact that tunners can extract another 40 odd kw and 130nm of torque with just a tune goes to show how restricted these things are from the factory. I hope the new golf gets the 350nm motor but i am doubtful that they will have so much torque going through the front wheels from the factory as the potential has always been there but they havent in previous times trying to chase down the likes of your MPS 3's with 380nm of torque and 190kw as they know this will effect the composure and manners of the GTI.

If the standard GTI does get the 350NM motor you'd have to expect that the GTI-R or R20 will have close to or over the 400NM which would finally put it in line ball with the EVO X and Ulgy Betty STI which would be awesome.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
According to someone over at VWWC, some specs for the Oz version of the R20/GTI-R have been released : AWD and 200Kw. There was some earlier speculation that the power may have been closer to 250Kw, but apparently not so (well not for Oz, anyway).

I knew they wouldn't release anything too high powered here, as you have to pay through your teeth for lots of power in a euro. Looks like they will still be detuned somewhat (for reliability and to run in the worst conditions), but what would everyone argue about if the cars were already tuned haha.

(ps ,the A4 looks nice, but agree about the steering- my b5 A4 was fairly disconnected and boring).