GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

more on the mkVI GTI & R32 successor

amrjon

Ready to race!
Some slightly different info. on the mkVI performance golfs from motorauthority

With only a 10hp boost in power over the current model and no change in torque implemented for the next-generation Volkswagen Mark VI Golf GTI, fans of the hot-hatch would understandably be less than impressed with the new car’s numbers.

According to latest reports, however, VW won’t be neglecting its much admired Golf GTI. Sources in Germany familiar with the carmaker’s plans have revealed to Auto Motor and Sport that the GTI will be expanded into a small family of performance models, rather than remaining just a single car. Thus the model being shown next week at Paris will just be the entry level GTI, with much more potent offerings from VW set to follow soon afterwards.

For 2009, Golf GTI fans can expect to see a new sports diesel model, going under the GTD moniker. Essentially the GTD will be running on the same chassis as the GTI but will feature a fuel efficient 2.0L common-rail diesel with around 170hp and 350Nm, expected to be good for an 8.2 second sprint to 62mph - not lightning quick, but sure to be popular with those compromising between drivability and fuel efficiency. This model will also likely come with a six-speed manual as standard, with a DSG transmission as an option.

The next model up in the new GTI family will be the GTI 'Plus', which is expected to clash heads with the likes of BMW's 135i and Audi's S3. The car is expected to feature a 270hp output, Haldex AWD system and an uprated DSG transmission with seven-speeds.

Joining the new diesel and Plus models, will be a successor to the R32 due in 2010. As most manufacturers are doing these days, VW will likely downsize the R32’s V6 engine into a turbo five-cylinder variant, which is also expected to make its way into the Audi TT-RS and the Audi RS3 eventually. This twin-turbo five will be putting out around 350hp from its 2.5L of displacement.

Last edited:

Booba

Ready to race!
I'll have whatever they release as long as its the biggest one with turbo and awd :)

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Hmm I still think they should keep the GTI as one model and not have a whole range of GTIs.

Just detracts from what the GTI is about personally and makes it too, commercial (if that is the right word).

Efforts should be concentrated on making the one GTI and making it a ripper.

Would like to see the 5 pot in the new R version though!

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Hmm methinks there will be a lot of MkV GTIs for sale come that GTI Plus...

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Hmm I still think they should keep the GTI as one model and not have a whole range of GTIs.

Just detracts from what the GTI is about personally and makes it too, commercial (if that is the right word).

Exactly, what's the point of having a standard, diesel, standard with more power and AWD and a cut down V5 with AWD.

Why not make it simple and have a GTI with the 10kw more power and the option of AWD and a GTIR with the bigger turbo and AWD standard.

Keeps the variants down to a minimum which is easier for the dealers and if you want to purchase a car off the ship without having to do factory order you have a greater chance of achieving this. Not that VW Australia would have them all available, it wouldn't make any sense in bringing the diesel to Australia given the price of it.

Jig

Flow Motion
Exactly, what's the point of having a standard, diesel, standard with more power and AWD and a cut down V5 with AWD.

Why not make it simple and have a GTI with the 10kw more power and the option of AWD and a GTIR with the bigger turbo and AWD standard.

Keeps the variants down to a minimum which is easier for the dealers and if you want to purchase a car off the ship without having to do factory order you have a greater chance of achieving this. Not that VW Australia would have them all available, it wouldn't make any sense in bringing the diesel to Australia given the price of it.

Because not all enthusiasts or non-enthusiasts are created equal... I am sure the VW Marketing folks have seen other similar marques make a killing with all car model variants and decided to follow suit with one more extensive model introductions. Seem to work well with BMW, Mercedes, Audi's and even Porsche's... I think more choice for the consumer is better in my opinion.

revdes

Because not all enthusiasts or non-enthusiasts are created equal... I am sure the VW Marketing folks have seen other similar marques make a killing with all car model variants and decided to follow suit with one more extensive model introductions. Seem to work well with BMW, Mercedes, Audi's and even Porsche's... I think more choice for the consumer is better in my opinion.

Yes but people looking at a VW probably won't have the budget to justify all that choice. And those that do... may not be caught dead in one.

That said, there is only 1 engine in the M3, whether it's sedan, coupe or convertible. Using the GTI name everywhere only lessens it's value, something VW should be wary of, and not to make a similar mistake as they did with the MK4.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hmm methinks there will be a lot of MkV GTIs for sale come that GTI Plus...

Quite possibly, but it may suit people to upgrade anyway after a few years depending on how many km they typically do.

However there are already a stack of GTI's around already, but hopefully they wont be too hard to sell later.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion

Aren't there already something like 23 different Golf's anyway? I dont see the difference between one or two more.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Aren't there already something like 23 different Golf's anyway? I dont see the difference between one or two more.

We're talking about the GTI here not a new range of cars. The Golf range consists of the pacific, the edition, the gt sport, the gti and the r32.

Now we're looking at the (using these names for example only) edition, the pacific, the gt sport, the gti-povmodel, the gti-sportier+, the gti-richboy, the gti-diesel, the gti-r32wannabe and so forth.

Add in the different variants and you'll have more GTI variants then the standard models.

And with the longer wait times from Germany for custom orders it will force people to take cars that don't meet their specs.

Having a GTI and a GTI-R is fine, but diluting the name by having a diesel, a standard, a performance, a cut down r36 version and so forth is only going to harm the GTI name.

amrjon

Ready to race!
Going with those names, I'd be in the market for a gti-sportier+, and if there are other versions above, that may not be a bad thing in terms of keeping the price for gti-sportier+ in check. They'll probably sell more if they go with GTI-R though!

Then I can still dream of one day getting a gti-richboy.