GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mkv Snow water/meth kit question

mkvsao

alcoholic just like mygti
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
So just today I had my stage 2 snow water/meth kit installed on my mkv gti by a euro tuning shop. The pump itself isn't supposed to be on if the car is off right? Or is there some setting on the maf controller that is turning the pump on?
I took a look at the wiring diagram, the pump needs to be connected to a 12v ignition source so I'm thinking they just wired it to a constant volt source. Its weird because they installed a connector where it allows me to just turn off the pump if I don't want meth. But when I connect the wires, the pump turns on sometimes or It doesn't. It's just irritating I knew I should have tried to install this myself.

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion

mkvsao

Car(s)
2007 mkv gti

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Our Snow kit, like many kits, has a progressive controller. The controller is triggered by boost measured at MAF or vacuum. When boost reaches the trigger level, which you control with the 2 dials, the controller turns the pump on and starts at 10% pressure and progressively goes to 100% pressure.

Dial on left controls the boost level that starts the pump.
Dial on right controls the boost level at which you spray 100%.

So you might set it to turn on at 6 psi with the left dial and go full by 12 psi of boost with right dial. My left dial is set at 11:30 and my right dial is set at 1:00. That could just be a starting point for you.

Set or confirm that your dials are in about these positions and report back. Having them with overlapping settings or settings too low could be a problem even if it is wired correctly and cause it to spray very easily at 0 boost. Might explain why your "switch" turns pump on sometimes.

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
Our Snow kit, like many kits, has a progressive controller. The controller is triggered by boost measured at MAF or vacuum. When boost reaches the trigger level, which you control with the 2 dials, the controller turns the pump on and starts at 10% pressure and progressively goes to 100% pressure.

So you might set it to turn on at 6 psi with the left dial and go full by 12 psi of boost with right dial. My left dial is set at 11:30 and my right dial is set at 1:00. That could just be a starting point for you.

Set or confirm that your dials are in about these positions and report back. Having them with overlapping settings or settings too low could be a problem even if it is wired correctly and cause it to spray very easily at 0 boost. Might explain why your "switch" turns pump on sometimes.

My settings are identical.

mkvsao

Car(s)
2007 mkv gti

Ok so it is on MAF settings, I set the dials on these positions. With the car on or off, I plug up the connector and the pump turns on. It doesn't stop unless I move the setting to boost. The controller is wired for MAF. Regardless if I move the dials, I've tried all the way left and all the way right with the dials, and the pump is still on. It's not supposed to come on at all even with the engine off? I'm just really starting to get pissed with the shitty install I told those guys something is wrong with the pump and he insisted I had settings on wrong. At least they fixed the leak but now I'm going to have to take it back to fix this issue. They didn't even say sorry or try and hook me up or anything. I understand it's a business, but now I'm never going back and they lose money on that.

mkvsao

Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Just found something while reading the Snow manual.

Setting the MAF Sensor Type
The VC-MAF controller is designed to work with all different types of
vehicle MAF sensors. A four position switch located inside the
VC-MAF allows the selection of the MAF sensor type. The VC-MAF
reads the selection switch on power up to determine the mode of
operation. The switch selection can be changed at any time, but power
to the VC-MAF needs to be cycled before the new selection will be used.
To access the MAF selector switch, remove the plastic plug located
under the wire harness on the front of the VC-MAF. The default setting
is all switches in the OFF or UP position. 2.0T FSI vehicles use
SWITCH 3 ON

Could this be the issue? The tech who installed the system wasn't very informative I knew I should have just installed this myself.

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion
Correct, the pump should not turn on just because the engine is on. Check to see if the MAF lead (yellow) is connected to your MAF sensor wire (usually somewhere near the MAF sensor).

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion
Just found something while reading the Snow manual.

Setting the MAF Sensor Type
The VC-MAF controller is designed to work with all different types of
vehicle MAF sensors. A four position switch located inside the
VC-MAF allows the selection of the MAF sensor type. The VC-MAF
reads the selection switch on power up to determine the mode of
operation. The switch selection can be changed at any time, but power
to the VC-MAF needs to be cycled before the new selection will be used.
SWITCH 3 ON

Could this be the issue? The tech who installed the system wasn't very informative I knew I should have just installed this myself.

Yes, check the controller to see if the switches are in the right position(s).

mkvsao

Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
If the pump is on at any time, is it automatically spraying?

mkvsao

Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
What's weird is those switches aren't in mmy controller. It says to remove a plastic plug underneath the wire bundle to reveal switches wwhich I don't see. I even took it apart and checked.. Nothing.. The pump turns on at 12v ignition and I know it's not supposed to.

mkvsao

Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Correct, the pump should not turn on just because the engine is on. Check to see if the MAF lead (yellow) is connected to your MAF sensor wire (usually somewhere near the MAF sensor).

The wire is connected.

mkvsao

Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Can someone explain why my controller doesn't have those switches?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Can someone explain why my controller doesn't have those switches?

My guess would be that you do not have a MAF based controlled. Do you have a vacuum line running to your controller?

Or you have not found the plastic plug....

SWITCH 3 ON.