GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV GTI - Overheat, no codes, new fans

rt4me

I have a MKV GTI which had an overheat issue (temp gauge just making it into the red). Troubleshooting I noticed that the smaller auxiliary fan wasn't ever running. I replaced both fans (figured the other was probably not far behind and I also wanted to replace the controller, just in case). Also replace a couple of hoses with minor weeping.

Ran the car for a while. When I would turn on the A/C, both fans would kick on so I know they both work now. However, after 10 minutes or so of the temp keeping at 190, the temp would start to rise again. At no point while it was rising did the fans turn on. However, when I turned the engine off, both fans would run on high for a couple of minutes. So, what is suppose to trigger the fans coming on when the temp rises and the car is running? Is it different than what the temp gauge is pulling values from? I know there are 2 coolant temp sensors but I don't know which the gauge is pulling from and which would trigger the cooling fans (or is it both sensors)? I've not seen any codes being given related to engine/cooling.

Thanks for the help in advance.