GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI autobahn vs Mk7.5 Golf R

mikemavz

Car(s)
-
So I am looking at 2 used cars at the moment. Both are DSG. I have no plans of tracking or driving these hard, I am looking for a mix of fun, power, and comfort. I drive well under 10k miles a year.

1. The 2018 Golf R has just under 30,000 miles on it. Never modded or tuned, and has been garage kept for most of its life. Will be buying from the 2nd owner. Warranty is almost over.

2. The 2022 autobahn has about 10,000 on it. Dealer says it has not been modded or tuned, although pictures show its not on stocks wheels and has a different engine cover (both pretty hideous), so I'm not sure what else has been done. Still has 2 years on warranty

On paper it seems like the mk8 GTIs have improved with HP and torque, and the autobahn seems to now have a lot of the same features of the previous Golf R ( Digital cockpit, auto-dimming mirror, DCC, ACC, ambient lighting, multi-zone climate). The autobahn also has vented seats which definitely sounds awesome.

Other than AWD and Power does the Golf R beat out the Autobahn? I've heard the interior is slightly better quality than the GTI, but those posts were comparing the MK7s.

I will plan on goin stage 1 after a year or 2 of owning.

I recently test drove a 2019 R with a stage 1 tune, and a 2024 SE back to back. I loved how the R felt. It felt connected to the road and had lots of power on straights. Plus the Fender Audio system sounded better than the Harman Kardon in the GTI. But the GTI kind of felt more fun even though I felt it lacked power. Would a tune help this?

What is the better car/deal? Im so torn.
Is there anything I am missing?

Both are asking for about $31k.

Proxima2

Ready to race!
I like the idea of the R. Seems like no one has messed with it and that to me, means no one has hosed it up. Secondly, the all wheel drive will be awesome and there might not be a need for tuning with all power to all wheels. Seems like a no brainer to me.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
It will come down to aesthetics too....which one do you like better?

R hands down from that perspective.

mikemavz

Car(s)
-
I like the idea of the R. Seems like no one has messed with it and that to me, means no one has hosed it up. Secondly, the all wheel drive will be awesome and there might not be a need for tuning with all power to all wheels. Seems like a no brainer to me.
yeah, I am definitely leaning towards the R.

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
I’d get the R. Imo if I could only go back in time..