GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Odd that it just started happening too
I wouldn't think much of how it's dropping the file. There's probably a default format setting somewhere. Or maybe a compression setting for filespace.

I just mean a few months ago some Google ads results were pointing to 7zip mirrors that had spyware laced 7zip. It still happens every now and then with Google ads results, so you just can't trust clicking the ad. To their credit, Google is fast to drop them, but they have so many ad providers it's a hard thing to keep on top of.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Accidentally tore up my hatch weatherstripping when pushing a huge block of tooling foam into my car. Think this might be risking a leak, or can I get away with it as just cosmetic damage since it's at the bottom of the door?

View attachment 303317
That sucks. Keep a large broken down carboard box over the spare tire for loading and unloading. Used to keep a smaller one so when i carried a large ladder is put it on the dash under the ladder

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Do you need to remove the caliper carrier when replacing rear rotors on a non-PP car? Friend with a TSI says removing rear caliper carrier was a major PITA on jack stands. Apparently this works on PP cars but can't find confirmation for non-PP.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Do you need to remove the caliper carrier when replacing rear rotors on a non-PP car? Friend with a TSI says removing rear caliper carrier was a major PITA on jack stands. Apparently this works on PP cars but can't find confirmation for non-PP.
Yes. You always have to remove the carriers

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Maybe not a stupid question.

Thinking of going back to AP PCV.

ECS has it for $70.

FCP had it for $220, but you get the lifetime warranty.

Which would you get

EDIT: Just found out ECS did the lifetime replacement too. Easy decision

EDIT 2 : the ECS one i was looking at isn't OEM.

so now the question is, does it matter if it's VW or aftermarket?

Last edited:

Kart17

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Maybe not a stupid question.

Thinking of going back to AP PCV.

ECS has it for $70.

FCP had it for $220, but you get the lifetime warranty.

Which would you get

EDIT: Just found out ECS did the lifetime replacement too. Easy decision

EDIT 2 : the ECS one i was looking at isn't OEM.

so now the question is, does it matter if it's VW or aftermarket?
If it had a warranty why not send it?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If it had a warranty why not send it?
Yeah. Good point. I guess i was thinking i don't want a subpar part to determine the result. For example if a VW AP PCV would've cured the smoking, but never found out because the aftermarket didn't fix it. Just seeing if there's much of a difference

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just ordered the Febi Bilstein AP PCV.

Hopefully we go back to normal.

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
Anybody get a p0456 code?( I made sure the gas cap was secured lol, then cleared the code but it came back). Not sure if possibly it’s related to the evap charcoal canister recall on my golf, but that’s a waiting game for parts to be available to complete the recall so not sure if I should do more investigating before then.

Pineapple

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Anybody get a p0456 code?( I made sure the gas cap was secured lol, then cleared the code but it came back). Not sure if possibly it’s related to the evap charcoal canister recall on my golf, but that’s a waiting game for parts to be available to complete the recall so not sure if I should do more investigating before then.
I fixed mine by getting a new gas cap. Car had ~60k miles on it at the time

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
What’s the magical trick to take the PCV hose off the turbo inlet pipe? This thing is killing me.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
What’s the magical trick to take the PCV hose off the turbo inlet pipe? This thing is killing me.
Heat gun and an angled pick and evidently it is stronger than I am lol because that was a PITA

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Paging SimosTools users.

How in the hell do I switch maps? I've seen 3 different ways on youtube and none worked for me. It's past my tuners bedtime where he lives so before I give up on logging tonight I thought I'd ask you fine people.