GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Checked cyl 1 as soon as I got home. Spark plug good and piston head dry…no sign of oil

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
This was the big joke on the Autobahn in the 80's - you could always tell when the BMW in front of you downshifted by the blast of blue smoke.

I had the "lots of white smoke" when my XJS-V12 HE blew a gasket at 240kmh on the Autobahn just outside of Nurenberg.
That must not have been fun at that speed. Sorry to hear that happened. Those v12s were cool, though! Massive engines!

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Oh its all good, I figure if I am going to do something more than the Macan swap that I already have, make it worthwhile. Also recently here locally Autocross events are now a thing. The first event was last weekend. They are also planning other events but not sure what.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Oh its all good, I figure if I am going to do something more than the Macan swap that I already have, make it worthwhile. Also recently here locally Autocross events are now a thing. The first event was last weekend. They are also planning other events but not sure what.
you can do an 18z swap, but it has a lot involved (merc rotors, different knuckles, etc)....have to think an RS set of 6 pot would mount up with right rotors and carriers.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Unless it's a really small region, most autox regions follow the national scca rules for cars where a new brake setup pushes you into the more "prepared" categories.

This may not matter to you if you're not looking to be competitive in your class.

Neuspeed has a 6pot that bolts up. Not sure how many people use that kit, though. Seems normal enough and pistons look about right vs stock size, but I'm not sure if they publish the piston size spec. Ideally you want to be within 0 to -5% of your original piston area to avoid impacting how abs functions and how brake bias is distributed.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Unless it's a really small region, most autox regions follow the national scca rules for cars where a new brake setup pushes you into the more "prepared" categories.

This may not matter to you if you're not looking to be competitive in your class.

Neuspeed has a 6pot that bolts up. Not sure how many people use that kit, though. Seems normal enough and pistons look about right vs stock size, but I'm not sure if they publish the piston size spec. Ideally you want to be within 0 to -5% of your original piston area to avoid impacting how abs functions and how brake bias is distributed.
Based on FBO IS38, I'm gonna guess he's already in SM(F) or XA, if the local region runs it. @EpicTech go have a blast. AX is a ton of fun if you don't take it overly seriously. It's a very humbling sport with lots of folks who've been doing it for decades, but everyone I've ever met through it has always been welcoming and super friendly.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Consensus on OEM vs aftermarket DSG fluid?
On my first change, the indie used the Liqui Moly DSG fluid. Car functioned like factory. Most recent fill up was back to OEM and feels exactly the same. Not sure what is happening internally, but neither shop reported anything out the ordinary.
From my experience as long as it matches VW spec your good to go.
So I feel like ^this is probably accurate.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Based on FBO IS38, I'm gonna guess he's already in SM(F) or XA, if the local region runs it. @EpicTech go have a blast. AX is a ton of fun if you don't take it overly seriously. It's a very humbling sport with lots of folks who've been doing it for decades, but everyone I've ever met through it has always been welcoming and super friendly.
Thanks, I'm sure it will be a blast. I'm mainly just looking to make sure the car is as dialed as I can get it. Even if I'm the slowest around the course I'm going to be having fun doing it lol. I plan to bring a portable air compressor so I can run lower psi in the tires for grip, and some basic tools so I can pop the rear seat out. Hopefully I can get my coilovers adjusted so I can run that taller sidewall tire up front too. Right now they dont fit.