GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 1.6 or 2.0 Match/Bluemotion

Gunner786

Going to cargiant this weekend with a budget of £9000.
Narrowed down to A3 & Golf.

The Golfs 2014-15 are 1.4 TSI, 1.6 and 2.0 Match models.
1.6 is abit cheaper but engine and drivewise is there any difference or problems?
Or shall i spend the extra £500 or so and go for 2.0?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You realise that the 1.6lt & 2.0lt are diesel engines....the 1.4lt is petrol...

I'd stay way from the diesel engines due to higher taxes etc...& lower resale value in the long term..

emz_98

Passed Driver's Ed
go for a petrol 1.4tsi and when buying a car from car giant make sure you check everything and get it rectified before you take it away.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
You realise that the 1.6lt & 2.0lt are diesel engines....the 1.4lt is petrol...

I'd stay way from the diesel engines due to higher taxes etc...& lower resale value in the long term..

The new tax hikes only apply to new cars, not used. The 1.6 from OPs chosen year is free road tax.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The new tax hikes only apply to new cars, not used. The 1.6 from OPs chosen year is free road tax.

Tax on 2.0 bluemotion for my 2014 plate, is £20 per year :/

But for how long as the gov can change that anytime it wants....& diesel fuel will get hit with more VAT/duty than petrol in future...

Plus you have to have no visible smoke etc under the new 2018 May MOT rules fro diesel engines..so got to keep that DPF in tip top condition...:cool:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Hard to tell the long term future of a diesel of the 2 I think I'd get the 2.0, but yeah, go for the 1.4TSi petrol: I get an easy 45MPG around town, an easier 55+ on a long run. I'm told a year's road tax is £30 - £10 more than the dude above's 2.0 diesel....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
1.4 tsi is 120 vo2 and roadtax on this is £110 per year

road tax & cost of fuel you have no control over...& both WILL go up...

The petrol cars are lighter in the nose & more fun to drive....just ask anyone who has gone from a GTD to a GTI...

& yes I have driven the 2lt diesel version (150PS) of my car with the same spec & suspension.....mine is way more fun in corners & way less crashy over potholes..

Gunner786

Thanks guys. Most of the 1.4 tsi's in the 9k are 70k-80k mileage. Thats when the cambelt, clutch + flywheel start making noises to get changed.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Reckon that's too high miles ^^, ok for now but what will it be in 2, 3, 4 years time; poss clutch, flywheel and goodness knows what else. Think 2.0 TDi better bet than 1.6 as that was the engine with emission issues. Not 100% sure on road tax, but was told on my car (2016 1.4 BMT) will be less than on Unc's 2017 1.2 Polo also BMT (!)....

redbutcher

Ready to race!
Different suspension on the 1.6TDi as well compared to the 2.0

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Different suspension on the 1.6TDi as well compared to the 2.0

also the same differences depending on 122/125ps or 140/150ps TSI 1.4lt engines he goes for..

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
also the same differences depending on 122/125ps or 140/150ps TSI 1.4lt engines he goes for..

I think any mk7 with power higher thank 90 kW comes with multilink suspension. Isn’t so?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I think any mk7 with power higher thank 90 kW comes with multilink suspension. Isn’t so?

my bad...:eek:

89/90kw (122ps) is the change over point..so the 2lt TDI & 1.4 TSI have multi link & the 1.6lt diesel has twist beam ..according to the ERWIN self-study guide....

But what gets me is that when I got my car at the time VWUK were supposedly having the 122ps 1.4lt with twist beam.....this I think was wrong info from dealer as in 2014 there was quiet a bit of confusion as the brochures were not 100%...

I would look under the car as its a UK one...