GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Make sure to check your oil level frequently!

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
am i the only person who experiences no oil loss. i check my oil every week or so. ( i drive between 500-1000 miles a week) and the last 2 times i had my oil changed (at 5-6k intervals) i never once had my oil line vary from the full line.

Not the only one I'm sure, but most of the 2.0T's use some amount of oil it seems.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
Is this a sticky? Good info. I try to check my oil at least every two weeks. When I had a bad PCV, I was using a quart of oil per 1000 miles. Now I use about a quart to a quart and a half per 5000 miles.
This thread should definitely be sticked.
Also make sure the car is level and has cooled down from running. This allows all the oil to return to the sump from the systems and cool down. At a cooler temperature it will have a lower density and the level will read lower.

:wink:
1st pull doesnt count, wipe it and check it again. Thats where your oil level is. And make sure you check it on a level surface. There is a quart between the min and max lines.

The car will drive fine untill it makes this ungodly sound. Then its too late. All it takes is one fast turn and then you have got an oil starvation condition. Get some oil in there please. Buy 2 quarts because you may have more than a quart missing. When you add it, add about half a quart at a time. Cap it, idle the motor for about 15 seconds, let it sit for about a minute, and then check the level again. Repeat untill its at or below max. Becareful when you get close to max, overfilliing is bad for the motor. :smile:

Source: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45753

Kenzo

Kenzo
Car(s)
08 4dr blkmag gti
Amazing that this is posted today. I am just at 5k on the od. On my second start today i heard a nasty crank... So I turned the engine off and checked the oil. Let's just say it was very low. So I go and have an oil change. Wow. It feels like a whole different car. I never had this problem with my 06 MKV, but with this car I have been revving way up the tac a lot more often. I think this may be a big reason for the burnoff. I will def keep an eye on the dip stick more often.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
Reporting in at 1.9k miles. I just added about 1/4 of a quart of 0W40. Now I'm just about half a Centimeter below the Max.

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
am i the only person who experiences no oil loss. i check my oil every week or so. ( i drive between 500-1000 miles a week) and the last 2 times i had my oil changed (at 5-6k intervals) i never once had my oil line vary from the full line.

i haven't really noticed any significant oil loss...last change was at 5k, now i'm at almost 8k miles and it's practically at max... i hadn't checked the oil at all for the first 5k so i wouldn't know if it was low

Kool_aiD

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
0w40 just means the viscosity is thinner... the weight just refers to cold starting weight and the weight when it warms up. the thinner viscosity helps lubricate on initial startup and when the engine warms up the oil becomes heavier to better lubricate.

like.. 40w only would be pretty sludge-like or very thick (viscous lol)... and 0w would be too thin for higher revving and once the engine warms up... its a good balance and you dont lose anything putting a thinner oil in (say 0w40 vs 10w40). a climate like california you dont really have to worry about the oil getting too cold and freezing with a 0w but it would be too thin for a colder climate..

i usually stick with a 5w30/40 or a 10w30 myself

TZSGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Honda Civic Type R
How low does it have to be untill the low oil light comes on?

ekk20

Go Kart Champion
how do I read dip sticks? (sorry i know i'm a n00b), last night when I checked, the there was oil at where it says MAX so I assume my engine has enough oil right now? I just had a major service 2000km's ago