GOLFMKV

Luxury Car Resale Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
Being a car enthusiast, when i'm bored surfing the web i often find myself looking over Carsales and checking car prices and whats floating about. There's a really obvious trend, IMO, that cars over $100k when new drop value like a hooker drops skirt at the sign of a $50 note.

What do you recon the worst car for resale is? I found this one:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...247 1252 1282 4294963765 4294963711&silo=1011

Over $50k drop in value after only 18months. Hate to have bought that new.

Or this one:
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...247 1252 1282 4294963711 4294963765&silo=1011

Huge drop.

Mercs? Nope...
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...1216 1247 1252 1282 4294955419 1090&silo=1011

BMW? Same fate... bye bye 40-50k after 12 months or so.
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...82 4294966879 4294729565 4294967079&silo=1011

Audi suffer the same fate - i know mine was over $30k less than it's new equivalent at only 6 months old. Modded cars also seem to suffer more than their stock counterparts...

So, what do you recon? Is this soft second hand market a reflection that we're paying too much for these cars new?

Or is it a good time to buy used luxury?

Last edited:

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
Ouch! That first Gayman sure must have hurt the owner. Can't imagine they possibly got $50K of fun out of it in only 18 months. Interesting number plate.......

nath_mkVI

Ready to race!
I think its a factor of the second hand market that people expect a big price drop for a second hand car combined with the overall inflated luxury imported car prices in the first instance.

I guess people dont want to layout big $$ on a second hand car when they can get a new car for the same $$ so to get a sale the price needs to be a little less I guess. sucks, but if you're willing to buy a used car it can be a good thing.

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
^But the drops are huge! 50k is more than 1/4 the value of the first car in 18 months. Only 5 years ago you could expect, reasonably, a 1/3 drop over purchase value on a lot of Euro car's after 3 years. These examples are far worse.

They're effectively new cars because they all either have factory warranty or factory extended warranty so it's not like you're buying a used clunker you'll need to spend coin on.

And i agree about the 'fun' for the price drop. You can buy a lot of coke and hookers for $50k. I think more millage = more enjoyment for you buck, but that also hurts resale. It's nice to have owned cars like these, but $50k is the price of a new Golf GTI or Renault Clio Sport...

Last edited:

apmitchell74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R36 Twin Turbo Golf
All cars loss value. It's a fact of life! The more expensive the car the bigger the loss.

Last edited:

bwen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI Pirelli
I guess with the whole 'cheap 2nd hand' car market makes it good for the general consumer who doesn't want to fork out huge cash for a brand new car every time he/she shops around. I'm looking for a 'new' car at the moment, max $120k but trying to keep under $100k. Not sure what I want yet, those cars you posted up above all look very enticing :)

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
I knew he sold it. Why not just admit it.

Maybe jester a lot of Porsche owners buy them and then realize you can get plenty of car for a lot less or perhaps they just can't keep up with maintenance costs. Either way it be nice to have owned/driven a Porsche at some stage in life.

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
Yes Roberto. I remember many motoring journos commented at launch of mkv gti that it gave you same driving pleasure and fun factor as a 911.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
Any cadillac or jaguar.

cwhite09GTI

Daily Racer
My mom made my dad return his 993 cab (black on black on black) after 3days back in the 90s....he lost...meh decent...went with a S500 lease instead...he said she would go next instead.

3 years later he bought a '97 993 cab in white, blue top blue interior.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
All cars loss value. It's a fact of life! The more expensive the car the bigger the loss.

Ditto, cars' are not investments so it's important one understands their position in life before they begin to play...

Price hit's aren't too bad if you manage to retrieve the balance when upgrading to a near new used car :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.