GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low grinding noise from front end and other concerns

BecauseTheInternet

Ok so I have had my 09 GTI for a few months now. I just did the 60k service and had the intake manifold replaced. I haven't had the suspension/tires/brakes checked yet so it may just be some suspension/brake rubbage but I want to check first.

Here are my current concerns with my car that I can't figure out

1) Low grinding noise from front end

It almost sounds like metal on metal but it is not very loud. It happens even when slightly turning, no other sounds from what I can hear. I can feel it directly below my feet in the driver's seat.

2) High pitch whine in 1st and 2nd gear

I have read that this isn't a big deal but it is rather annoying to listen to. Is this just something I have to live with?

3) Rear end groans loudly when steering wheel is in full lock left and right

If I am parked or stationary and turn the wheel all the wheel, the rear end groans like the suspension or something metal is bending to compensate.

4) When AC is on, it sounds really bad

Like concern #1, but louder. It sounds and feels almost exactly the same but way worse. I have to turn it off when I am in a low speed zone or stuck in traffic because it just sounds/feels so horrible.

I have research it quite a bit and it seems it can be a number of things from steering rack, strut mounts, wheel bearings, etc...but none of them really sound exactly like my issue...

I could probably take it to the shop and have them look at it but if I can figure out what it is I'd be happy to fix it at home.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
Is the car stock? If not, a list of mods would be useful. I'll try to address your questions one by one.

1. If it only happens when you turn, this is most likely a wheel bearing issue. Does it happen more or less depending on speed?
2. I don't have an answer to the high pitched wine issue. Take a video.
3. This could be an issue with the top strut mount, loose subframe, and or steering rack. Is the e-brake on or off?
4. It sounds like you have after market (stiffer) motor/trans mount. If so, this is normal.

BecauseTheInternet

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Car is stock as far as I know. I have only owned it for a few months now.

I had the intake manifold replaced not that long ago under warranty.

1) There is a grinding noise even while going straight but turning makes it worse. Feels like something rotating/spinning and a very light grind noise with it, like it may be rust or something down there.

2) I will try to take a video of this as well but it is not a big issue. I just can't tell if it is related to the other issues.

3) The ebrake is off and happens if I am in Park or Drive. I turn the wheel full lock and it will groan. I posted the video of this earlier. I am hoping that 1 and 3 are related in some way.

Main suspects are cv joints, axle, steering colum heat shield bent, or possible a bad steering rack.

Thanks again. I'm thinking of putting my car up and taking the wheels off this weekend and get a better look underneath. The car also has a problem starting after I drive it for a bit, park, wait 15-30mins, and drive again... that gti life

Last edited:

mats__

Car(s)
Golf
Hi,

I have a mk5 golf and some times I noticed a weird sound from front side when I am in very slow speed and turning the wheel to park. This noise is not produced when stationary and with high speeds. I have change suspensions, top mounts and silent block recently. However, this didn't fix the issue. The sound is recorded in this video ( occuring on 0:09-0:15)
Any idea what is causing this noise?
noise steering vw golf