GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Letting Car Idle after driving to Help Turbo?

nickygym

Ready to race!
I read on CarThrottle that you should let turbo cars idle for a few minutes before turning it off? Is this true?

"Most people here will understand why you shouldn’t just drive like a hooligan the second your engine’s turned on, but the general public might not, so I feel it’s something that needs to be said. Basically, if you do anything other than gentle driving before your gauges tell you everything’s up to temperature, you’re gonna have a bad time.

This also extends to the end of your journey, particularly for people with turbocharged cars. If you’ve been beating on your ride, then immediately pull up and turn it off, bad things can happen. Give it some time to cool down before you switch it off."

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Yes it's typically true, however the GTI will push coolant backwards through the turbo to continue to cool it off after the engine stops. You can hear the faint whine of the pump sometimes after you shut your car off following some 'aggressive' driving. Plus our turbos are so small I imagine they dissipate heat more rapidly that some others, so it becomes less of an nessecity to leave it idle but still a good idea Drive the last couple minutes at lower throttle/boost.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
There is an aux water pump that will run with the fans, built in feature. You can shut off the car, they will run if it's hot.