GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

less than a week old but its in the shop...

sledgod

Autocross Newbie
I got my GTI back from the shop, all is well at last.

I have to run it in again for the next 1500 miles with its new crankshaft and bearings. After a week of driving around at 3000rpm I can't help thinking that all you new owners breaking it in are in for a great shock when you start to open it up. This car is awesome , even in the break in period its quick but wait till you are at 10000 miles, this car will blow any doubt in your mind away. 100% reliability is for Toyota so i guess I can take 98% reliability with 100% fun.

Good luck keeping your license:thumbup:

hondude

Passed Driver's Ed
sledgod said:
Exactly what kind of noise was it?

Did the tick/rattle increase with the revs and appear to be directly in relation to the amount of revs i,e 1000rpm rattle 2000rpm more rattle 3000rpm sounds like a heat shield falling off, 4000rpm animals run in opposite direction?

If so then the rattle is from inside the engine and you have problems

Mine had that but i don't have it back from the shop with the final verdict of what went wrong. I have moaned and bleated on separte posts about it. if it is that then don't despair there are only 3 known cases in the VW world and once its repaired with stronger parts then its a little bit quicker and more tractable.

If its only at idle and disappears as you accelarate then as everyone above says its not a problem, either FSI noise or fuel lines.

This sounds similar to a loud 'buzz' I hear when accelerating. It sounds like it is coming from the middle of the dash--below the center vent. I've tried pushing every panel on the dash w/no reduction in noise. The car is at the dealer, now. They're having no luck finding this irritating buzz. This sound familiar to anyone? The only ticking I hear at idle is the injectors (when standing outside the car), though.

******************UPDATE 6/03/06***************
-Turns out the amplifier (resonator?) in the intake was bad was. Local VW dealership fixed it after much time tracing down the problem. Sounds great, now!

Last edited:

thunderroad

Ready to race!
I had same problem with rattling at idle, as said earlier there is a TSB out had mine fixed yesterday so far so good. We got to expect some "kinks" with this new model (for USA). Don't sweat it

slickvic

I scare other drivers
Sorry to hear, but...

thunderroad said:
I had same problem with rattling at idle, as said earlier there is a TSB out had mine fixed yesterday so far so good. We got to expect some "kinks" with this new model (for USA). Don't sweat it
Since this is virtually the same MKV which was introduced for the 2003 model year in Europe, there should not be any kinks to work out. That said, this all needs to be put into perspective when you consider how many thousands of MKVs are running around in the U.S. without problems. I have almost 1,800 miles so far and mine runs perfect from day one as if it were a hand crafted timepiece. :thumbsup: