GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Discussion Thread

sloMk5

2007 GTI

full perch in, about an inch of thread left in the front, full firm. the ride is great.

first350

Ready to race!
posted this in another thread, but here it is for this one...
specs:
Front: coils are 14 turns up from all the way down. (fenders rolled and pulled a little, fender liners removed...need to modifiy to prevent rubbing)

Rear: OE top rubber mount still on, outer sleeves removed, so it's just sit'n on the inner sleeve perch. (OE bottom rubber mount is still there too). Fender liners trimmed.

Wheels: VMR RS4 reps, 18X8.5 +45 (weight is around 25lbs/ea...kinda on the heavy side, but not bad for the price)
Tires: General UHP 225/45/18 (not the best tire, but cheap, decent performance, and supposedly quite)

*my passenger's side wheels are about 1mm further out than the driver's side...not really sure why, but kinda annoying b/c I had to pull that side a little more. It still slightly rubs on bad bumps, so I may raise it up a little and/or pull the fenders a bit more.

Jarhead316

Ready to race!
Is full firm 360? or 720?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Damn I think I'm going to look into these. So besides what they list, is there actually a difference in performance with the normal Koni's compared to the Koni Stasis coilovers? I like being low, but I also autox my car so I don't want to hinder performance.

Does removing these affect anything negatively?

x2 on this.

supaflip

WWAATTAAHH!!!
Is full firm 360? or 720?

front is 720

the rear is 900. it has 5 half (180 degrees) turns

x3 for removing the rear spring perches question. not sure but i think u'll just be 0.5-1in lower than the lowest settings with the rear spring perches in and plus some rubbish. oh and obviously u wont be able to adjust the height

Last edited:

sloMk5

2007 GTI
You can look it up there's pictures on here of them with the perches out..you'll be tucking tire and it will affect the handling and probably the ride quality to a lesser extent, I don't know what it's like where you live but I would be bottoming out and scraping everywhere too. Koni's are supposed to be really comfortable on full soft so someone who has done it will have to comment on the ride. Mine have always been on firm and and spun down on the perches since I got them.

Has anyone else ran them on full firm in the front? I really like it on high speed sweepers, I can even flatshift gears without upsetting the car. I have virtually no wheel hop either. But on tight turns and street corners the front tires want to skip a little. Hopefully softening the fronts a little doesn't mess with that cause I'm thinking about doing it a little if it will help keep them planted in the tighter stuff.

Last edited:

UnitedGTI

Runs With Scissors
im going to attempt to change the springs for some B&G springs a friend of mine has just to see what the difference would be. ill update when they are on

Tpass

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 BMP 6M GTI
I see nobody reuses the shock boot from the oem shock on the front. I didn't either on my install, but they seem kind of vulnerable to getting loaded with crap and breaking down the seals. have been trying to figure out how to put some sort of boot in there without removing them. any ideas? or thoughts on the shock seal breaking down?

kidthunder

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
to adjust dampening on the front is easy the rear is harder i beleive you have to take the whole shock out and adjust it like that kinda sux but i installed my so long agoi have the rear on full stiff and it rides great im still playing with the dampening on the front because of these stupid canadian roads disaster

Whiteboy88

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 VW GTI DSG
to adjust dampening on the front is easy the rear is harder i beleive you have to take the whole shock out and adjust it like that kinda sux but i installed my so long agoi have the rear on full stiff and it rides great im still playing with the dampening on the front because of these stupid canadian roads disaster

how would you compare to stock .. ? as far as comfort since i take some long trips every now and then. and IMO the stock shocks are great for long trips

Tpass

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 BMP 6M GTI
The ride is a little firmer when going through dips or upramps. besides better cornering and less body roll, that is about the only comfort issue I've noticed.