GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

knocking noise after ST-XTA coilovers install (NOT MKV CONTENT)

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
hi guys, sorry about posting here but since the mk7 still didn't hit the states there are not many people with dropped MK7s and i thought the coilover experience might be the same? so i thought i could get some insight from my mkv friends

I'm a total newb when it come to coilovers, this is the first time i ever have coilovers :help:

there is a knocking noise from one side only (front right side). when it first was installed it happened a lot. every time i hit the brakes or accelerate at low speeds i hear the knock. i took it back to the mechanic who installed it and he assured me that everything is ok and the car might need to settle on the new setup.

now (3 days after the install) the knocking noise is a lot less and only happens the first time i turn the steering wheel after a cold start and maybe once or twice during the day but not as loud as it used to. there is also no knocking whatsoever when turning the steering wheel left to right or right to left

is this normal? should i be worried?

oh and here she is :)

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
soo you're just trying to brag to us about how you have a beautiful brand new mk7 huh?

beautiful car make it looks awesome

coils generally take a month or so to settle so you still have a ways to go with that.

the knock you hear could it be the springs compressing? another thing might be the strut towers. when my coils were installed the first time...the person that did it wasn't quiet paying attention and had cut the upper strut mount "lip" off that is supposed to sit inside the spring and i got constant "popping" binding sounds when i turned the steering wheel because it was kinda sliding around on the spring. not sure if this is what you're experiencing?

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
soo you're just trying to brag to us about how you have a beautiful brand new mk7 huh?

beautiful car make it looks awesome

coils generally take a month or so to settle so you still have a ways to go with that.

the knock you hear could it be the springs compressing? another thing might be the strut towers. when my coils were installed the first time...the person that did it wasn't quiet paying attention and had cut the upper strut mount "lip" off that is supposed to sit inside the spring and i got constant "popping" binding sounds when i turned the steering wheel because it was kinda sliding around on the spring. not sure if this is what you're experiencing?

Haha... Yea bragging a bit :D

I don't think it's the springs compressing. And i have no sounds when turning the wheel. Only when i brake/accelerate at low speeds. The mechanic put a jack under the side that has the problem and everytime he lifts the car up to a certain point the knock happens. Every time in same positio. Whether while lifting or lowering. They told me it might be a defect in the coil over itself and sent the report to KW

Thanks for the reply

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
Yerp. Mine did the same thing after install and it lasted for months. It was the front right clunking/knocking on full lock turns, usually low speed.

Something to do with the springs building pressure and slipping off the collar. Sounds a lot more scary than it actually is.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Thanks RevoGLI :)

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
You might want the raise the car up a little to compress the springs. It sounds like the spring is unseating as the weight is shifting.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
1st off, Glad to see you're still posting here. Nice to see a familiar SN. Also, SWEET Mk7. You're presonally the reason why I lust after shadow blue so much.

That said, are you sure the strut mount is installed in the correct orientation? Theres an arrow that needs to face inward on the top of the strut mount. If not it can click and clack like you describe.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Thanks guys. Sorry don't check this forum much

Yes the problem got sorted on it's own after a few days of driving