GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

keep 255 tires or downsize?

GTI27

Ready to race!
so i was planning on k04 with my car but a few things have come up and looks like it will have to wait. i bought 17x8 wheels with 255/40 tires and front camber plates but have not mounted either on the car because it will not be seeing any tracking soon.

my friends are telling me that the 255s are way too wide and that i dont want neg camber. are these tires too much to daily with the occasional spirited driving? or should i sell them and go with something smaller?

G-Tea-Eye

he brokeded my car
Car(s)
GTI
negative camber is actually a pro for handling. too much can be bad obviously. but i don't see why you'd want to downsize if thats what you really want. they are more expensive than most tires but other than that they are awesome! lol i will be doing coils, camber plates, and 255s once I get the cash

GTI27

Ready to race!
this seems to be the opinion on this forum and what lead me to go this route in the first place lol however since i wont be seeing any track on these tires i feel a smaller tire might be more ideal for daily driving. this will allow me to return the camber plates which would give me a needed $300.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
this seems to be the opinion on this forum and what lead me to go this route in the first place lol however since i wont be seeing any track on these tires i feel a smaller tire might be more ideal for daily driving. this will allow me to return the camber plates which would give me a needed $300.

You dont need camber plates to run a 255 series tire anyway, unless you are lowered. 255's are not too much for street either.

GTI27

Ready to race!
yea i want to lower it to about a finger gap or two between the tire and the fender. is this possible with the 255s? and no camber? the alignment shop said they couldnt get the front to camber.

Zach L

VR junkie
yea i want to lower it to about a finger gap or two between the tire and the fender. is this possible with the 255s? and no camber? the alignment shop said they couldnt get the front to camber.

If dropped, you won't be able to run 255s in the front w/o camber plates

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
if your building a drag car, you want 0 degrees of camber, any camber = less tire on the road

This, camber is for when you turn, the tire will be flat in the turns. But adding more static camber (camber when the car is sitting flat and still) will decrease straightline performance because the tire will be touching the ground less in a straight line.