GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I've got mad spray can skills---Grill filled, painted, striped.

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
The remaining screw holes are for my slimline number plate. Outer dealer drilled plug holes filled with bondo.

Hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of teaching myself to prep and practicing painting and redoing over and over. Now I have it down pat.

Paint in one motion from side to side perpendicular to the surface. One long stroke from outside of the object to the other side of the object finishing your stroke past the edge. Start from that side spraying before your reach the edge so that you are always already spraying when you start to pass over the surface to be painted.

Duplicolor Gloss black
Duplicolor Clear Closs
Red pinstripe tape. Gloss over top of it.

Cheers

More pics to follow once its fitted. Also modded my badge so that its got a white backshadow, white bezel ring and black outside ring and black emblem as some others have done. Should look trick!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
looks good for DIY but on a professional note you can see dimples still where the plate holes were and you could have a much smoother finish. im not sure if you did but you should have sanded the whole thing down, then wet sanded, primed a few layers, wet sanded, painted. painting in multiple light layers of course

but if youre happy with the outcome thats all that matters

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
The dimples which are above each other vertically are actual holes for the plate to screw into. The other marks you can see are objects on the ground near the car.

IRL it looks very smooth. I am not saying its as good as a paint shop booth job by a pro.... but its 90% there I rekon and it looks great to my eye.

Total cost was just cans and sandpaper

LI_HXC_VR6

xstartxtodayx
Car(s)
04 B6 A4 avant
Nice job taking the efffort to DIY and the results are pretty nice :thumbsup:

My criticism... in the second pic you can see a good amount of orange peel, not sure if it's from the black or from the clear but you may want to give it a nice wetsanding to try and smooth that out. But then again that orange peel matches the factory orange peel that all of our VW's come with :lol: it honestly doesn't look bad, but I'm anal about things like that :eyebulge:

Also, when posting pics make sure to space them out (put a space between each img code or hit enter to begin a new line after each one) so they're above/below each other rather than next to each other, this way we don't have to scroll across 4 screen lengths :mad0259::biggrin:

LI_HXC_VR6

xstartxtodayx
Car(s)
04 B6 A4 avant
The grill and the stripe look nice on the car (from what I can tell from the pics taken at night), but that badge is killing me. The whole 2 tone badge thing just looks real cheap to me, but to each his own.

MiKeVGTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Did you paint your R-line fog grills by chance? For some reason they look really black. And mine for some reason are fading like no other.

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
In answer to questions: Foglight grills are stock, no paint. Got them from TMT tuning so maybe they used a blacker plastic than the ones made for non euro countries?

I filled the 4 large euro plate holder holes by putting thick duct tape, the one with the woven threads in it, onto the back of the holes. I then scraped over layers of simple bondo type stuff. Filler putty. Then sanded back once dry to a smooth finish.

The badge will not be so pronounced once I fit my plate which is also a black and white plate. So it will just match everything. It looks like it sticks out a lot but with a plate below it it is balanced.