GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ITG Filter

mel22b

Ready to race!
About 10,000 kms ago I changed my stock filter out for an ITG. I took it off the other day to check if it was clean. I pulled the housing off the engine (wtf is with that super design), flipped it over and there was oil all over the case. I took it apart and the inside was full of oil.
My initial thought was that for engine oil to get into the air box I have a serious problem. Then I did a bit more inspecting and realized it was from the ITG filter.
My guess is the heat from the engine turns the thick oil in the filter to a very thin oil that pours out. Due to the angle of the filter the back section still had some oil in it and the front had none.
ITG isnt entirely to blame here since any company that engineers and airbox thats almost impossible to access and then locates it in one of the hottest spots under the hood, should take some of the blame.
Just FYI.

petsy

Go Kart Champion
Out of curiousity, when first installing the filter, did you mop up the excess "oil" from the filter?

mel22b

Ready to race!
Obviously I didnt. I checked the instructions and it made no mention of it. I sure should have.