GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this normal wastegate play?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Shaft play looks acceptable and the flapper on the wastage is supposed to flap (duh lol) when the rod is not pulling pressure on it, like in your video. When the electronic motor pulls on it and puts tension on it and it doesn't move around like that. For reference, I just did the same thing with my wastage on my brand new IS38 and I had the same results.

Radfox

Ready to race!
Thanks RJ. I was just taping the arm with it still connected to the motor/actuator and thought that it was wiggling way to much. I don't see how it will get tighter unless the arm tightens up when the temperature rises and or if the exhaust pressure sort of keeps the gate tensioned and aligned better. Since your new turbo did this I guess one or both of these must be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radfox

Ready to race!
FYI. Someone at APR looked at the video and confirmed that a brand new stock turbo had the same play on the waste gate.

Does anyone know if there is a spring in the waste gate actuator that is supposed to pull the waste gate closed when the car is off? I was able to pull the arm forward and backwards and the valve would stay where I left it.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
FYI. Someone at APR looked at the video and confirmed that a brand new stock turbo had the same play on the waste gate.

Does anyone know if there is a spring in the waste gate actuator that is supposed to pull the waste gate closed when the car is off? I was able to pull the arm forward and backwards and the valve would stay where I left it.

No spring, the wastage on these new IHI turbo's is an electronic actuator. Upon start up the electrical signal closes and opens it upon command. Don't play with it too much, its like manually moving your wheels on your old RC car... not good for the motor.

CH2015GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all. What do you think of this waste gate play and turbo shaft play? The turbo has been whistling under light reving and the car is usually only pulls yhe strongest under part throttle acceleration. I have another post talking about the problems.

http://youtu.be/hVEeSp7LF0k

So I have the same issue. My car only accelerates hard under partial throttle. I also experience a loud metallic clicking/misfire, loss of power in 2000-3500RPM, and after hard acceleration my car feels like it surges and slows for about 5 seconds.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
So I have the same issue. My car only accelerates hard under partial throttle. I also experience a loud metallic clicking/misfire, loss of power in 2000-3500RPM, and after hard acceleration my car feels like it surges and slows for about 5 seconds.

Are you running a tune, NPM or JB Stage 1?

Did you try and go back to stock and see if the same surging, clicking issue is there? I took my piggyback out yesterday and car runs normal without it.

Radfox

Ready to race!

Like Totoro asked, are you running a tune?