GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this how your wipers work?

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
When you come to a stop in the MKV, the wipers slow down if they're on. I've noticed recently that if I left the wipers on when I turned off the engine, then come back to the car and turn it on again, the wipers go at their normal speed -- not the reduced speed they should be at because I'm not moving.

It seems like before the wipers would start out slow when I first turn the ignition on, but I can't be certain. What does your MKV do?

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
it's part of the rain sensor system
When you're not moving, there's not much need to have a clean windshield, and thus reduces wear on the wiper blades and mechanism.

Note that as the rain gets stronger, also the speed of the wipers increase.
One of the cool things about the GTI that I absolutely love :happyanim:

PooLeArMor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 CW GTi
US GTi dont have rain sensor .......

i have the same problem same as OP...

sometime it slow down when stop sometime keep going when stop
the wipers got its own mind lol

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
I have the same operation on my rabbit, also if you didn't know already you have to hit mist after turning off your car to put your wipers in service position where thewiper transmission is disabled

rcnu71299

Ready to race!
whether the wipers keep moving or stop when the car is not moving depends on the wiper setting that you have on...

if you have the wipers set to intermittent... when coming to a stop, i believe they will stop moving...

if the wipers are set to the continuous operation on the lower speed... when the car stops, the wipers will move intermittently...

when you have the wipers on the highest setting, they will keep moving no matter what the car does

found

DriverFound
And if you put the car in reverse with the front wipers on- the rear wiper will wipe once to clear the rear window.

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
And if you put the car in reverse with the front wipers on- the rear wiper will wipe once to clear the rear window.

That's the feature that I like. Smart idea by VW.

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
it is not part of rain sensor, is not a problem.

the car knows that you are stopped and dont need to keep wiping like a fool since you will have fewer droplets on your WS at that time. it is a feature of the car and I really like it.

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
That's the feature that I like. Smart idea by VW.

I would imagine that someone who JUST washed their car would be annoyed by having a big streak on the back window.

if I get a GTI, I would remove the rear wiper in the summer.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
for the record... if I just washed my car I wouldn't have the front wipers on either... resulting in the rear wiper not going on in reverse... only comes on with the front wipers on, lol... I hate wipers - rain-x FTW!

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
for the record... if I just washed my car I wouldn't have the front wipers on either... resulting in the rear wiper not going on in reverse... only comes on with the front wipers on, lol... I hate wipers - rain-x FTW!

Aquapel FTW

put it on 10 months ago and still works... a little.

big caddy

Passed Driver's Ed
I think they slow down when stopped to reduce noise.. when you come to a stoplight with your wipers at high speed, they make some racket which may force you to turn them down to a slower speed then have to readjust them later.

I like the feature,

I also picked up some window cleaner from germany.. supposed to be the stuff VW puts in at the factory. smells the same.

makes 7 gallons.

love my GTI

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
the factory solvent smells amazing!

I noticed that only the good dealers top off with this stuff, others use generic :(

LI_HXC_VR6

xstartxtodayx
Car(s)
04 B6 A4 avant
whether the wipers keep moving or stop when the car is not moving depends on the wiper setting that you have on...

if you have the wipers set to intermittent... when coming to a stop, i believe they will stop moving...

At the intermittent setting they will remain at the same setting whether moving or stopped.

if the wipers are set to the continuous operation on the lower speed... when the car stops, the wipers will move intermittently...

Correct.

when you have the wipers on the highest setting, they will keep moving no matter what the car does

When wipers are on their highest setting and you come to a stop, they will adjust to the slower continuous setting until you reach a speed of over 5mph again when they will resume operation on the highest setting.

I think the wiper system works great and is simple to use, much better than the one on my fiancee's brand new Mini Clubman (she has high, low, and a fixed intermittent setting which is never fast enough or slow enough so it's pointless).

As far as the OP's compalint that when the wipers are accidentally left on, in their low or high setting, when the car is started again they resume in their full low/high speed.... next time just remember to turn the wipers off and you won't have the problem :thumbsup: It works the same in the reverse, if you're sitting in your car not moving and turn your wipers on to the low or high setting, they will go on at that setting even though you're not yet moving not at the slower speed which happens after you come to a stop.

Spankybees

Neubie
This is going to sound like a silly question, but my back wiper won't stop wiping. It rained a day ago and it turned on, and hasn't stopped since then. I don't know how to turn it off and I don't have the owners manual with me at the moment.

Anyone know how to turn the back wiper off?