GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interest in a Light-Weight Forged Track Wheel?

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Hi!

I guess some/most of you should know me, or know of me. If not, Hi, name is is Phil :biggrin:

Anyways, I have the ability to build my own wheels. I control the process from Designing all the way to Production.

Since the MKV GTI was my first real car, figured I'd try and give the community some help back:

I know people have always had problems finding a light-weight trackable and strong wheel that's in a 17x8.5 +40 or +45 range.

Would people be interested in something like that?

I'd need 10 Committed Orders, Price Range...I'll hav eto double check on that but I'd expect a bit North of $1500.00 in your Hands.

Wheels will be 1-Piece Forged, NOT cast. They will be light. I once had a 20x10 +30 Wheel made for a test, and they weighed in at about 19 Pounds from what I remmeber.

I'd expect a 17" wheel to be somewhere around 16 - 17 Pounds.

Let me know! :thumbsup:

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
sounds intersting

17X8 or 17x8.5 with nice offset say 15-17lbs would be a nice offering!!!!

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
sounds intersting

17X8 or 17x8.5 with nice offset say 15-17lbs would be a nice offering!!!!

17x8 Exists in a 15 - 17 Lbs.

You can typically find an RPF1 or a OZ Wheel in that fitment.

I was referring to something that's an 8.5" Wide, for people who want to run wider-tires, and dial in the perfect fitment with the largest tires possible and what-not.

miamirice

Ready to race!
17x8 Exists in a 15 - 17 Lbs.

You can typically find an RPF1 or a OZ Wheel in that fitment.

I was referring to something that's an 8.5" Wide, for people who want to run wider-tires, and dial in the perfect fitment with the largest tires possible and what-not.

Can u go wider on the MKV wheel? We use an 8" for a 205 tire.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI

613B6

Ready to race!
Can you make a 15 x 8 rim for slicks? That I'd sign up for right away.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Can u go wider on the MKV wheel? We use an 8" for a 205 tire.

You could go wider on the MKV if you wanted. All just depends on if you're willing to do some fender work, and what-not.

17x9.5 +28 with a 245/40/17, is known to fit in the front with the SRS-TEC +25MM Wide Fenders.

I've personally run 9 + 35 with 245/40/17, and they fit with some room to spare.

Any way to maybe customize them a bit?
Im looking for 17x9 ET15

This is what I plan to buy:
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/mini-cooper-team-dynamics-pro-race.html

Team Dynamics are great wheels.

But, you see the issue, once again, is that they only come in 17x8, and not 8.5.

If you run a 255/40/17, it bulges a little.

The TDs run about $850 + Shipping, which makes them a great wheel for that price.

They are however a Cast Aluminum Wheel. Not as strong as a Forged Wheel.

Can you make a 15 x 8 rim for slicks? That I'd sign up for right away.

I can look into that for you. It'd be difficult for me to just make 1-Set, I'd definitely need some extra interest for that.

I assume you only want a Pair also?

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
You could go wider on the MKV if you wanted. All just depends on if you're willing to do some fender work, and what-not.

17x9.5 +28 with a 245/40/17, is known to fit in the front with the SRS-TEC +25MM Wide Fenders.

I've personally run 9 + 35 with 245/40/17, and they fit with some room to spare.
Ive done some pretty significant rolling/pulling, and even spaced out the front fenders a bit and can clear 245x40x17 on a 17x8 ET45 with 12mm spacer at ~24.5FTG. This is using OEM fenders

But, you see the issue, once again, is that they only come in 17x8, and not 8.5.

The TDs run about $850 + Shipping, which makes them a great wheel for that price.

The website allows you to pick 17x9 ET15
I purchased a set of 1552 fender flares so Im not worried about fender clearance, hence the 17x9 ET15. I plan to do 255x40x17 and if there is more room I will add 10mm spacers or so

Im still interested in seeing what you can get though. Def keep me posted as I am in no rush to get this all worked out. I still have a lot to do before I really need to find wheels

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Why don't you guys just get RPF1s. They are cheap and easy to get. My 17x9 RPF1s are 15.8lbs. You get get them in custom sizing with I think only 5 sets. Most vendors can do this for you guys.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Ive done some pretty significant rolling/pulling, and even spaced out the front fenders a bit and can clear 245x40x17 on a 17x8 ET45 with 12mm spacer at ~24.5FTG. This is using OEM fenders

The website allows you to pick 17x9 ET15
I purchased a set of 1552 fender flares so Im not worried about fender clearance, hence the 17x9 ET15. I plan to do 255x40x17 and if there is more room I will add 10mm spacers or so

Im still interested in seeing what you can get though. Def keep me posted as I am in no rush to get this all worked out. I still have a lot to do before I really need to find wheels

How much wider are the 1552 Fender Flares?

I won't be the cheapest option, I can tell people that much.

But, you're comparing Apples to Oranges, when comparing Forged Wheels to Cast, albeit close-ish in terms of weight.

Why don't you guys just get RPF1s. They are cheap and easy to get. My 17x9 RPF1s are 15.8lbs. You get get them in custom sizing with I think only 5 sets. Most vendors can do this for you guys.

You could, there are alternatives for sure, just giving people more options, :thumbsup:

AFAIK, the wait-time for Custom Enkeis/Volks is typically around 3 - 6 Months.

Had a bunch of White TE37 SLs ordered before, took forever for them to get here, lol.

613B6

Ready to race!

I can look into that for you. It'd be difficult for me to just make 1-Set, I'd definitely need some extra interest for that.

I assume you only want a Pair also?

Yes just the pair, and maybe a pair of 15x4 for rear skinnies :) If you ever end up seeing if this is possible, please PM me, I know one offs are not worth it.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
How much wider are the 1552 Fender Flares?

I won't be the cheapest option, I can tell people that much.

But, you're comparing Apples to Oranges, when comparing Forged Wheels to Cast, albeit close-ish in terms of weight.

You could, there are alternatives for sure, just giving people more options, :thumbsup:

AFAIK, the wait-time for Custom Enkeis/Volks is typically around 3 - 6 Months.

Had a bunch of White TE37 SLs ordered before, took forever for them to get here, lol.

55mm fronts and 35mm rears

BIG