GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I just stumbled across this on vortex....far out man!

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
Seen it before, some passion gone into that car!

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
I don't really understand that one.
It's not particularly for show, and not really for go (what is that cage made of?), seems to be just for the hell of it. faux racer.

which is reason enough I suppose.

gokartgti

Garage Pics Updated
love the S3 cooler sweet as.

MK005

Ready to race!
All seems just so so pointless... totally rendering the car worthless as well by cutting out the rear set points! WTF?

Kinda like the guys back in my AE86 days that used to spend 6hours scraping off the sounds deadening off the floor to save 2-3kgs.... How about you just skip the next burger fatty? ha

bj240z

All seems just so so pointless... totally rendering the car worthless as well by cutting out the rear set points! WTF?

Kinda like the guys back in my AE86 days that used to spend 6hours scraping off the sounds deadening off the floor to save 2-3kgs.... How about you just skip the next burger fatty? ha

Or do what we did, and just start with a more powerful base! :thumbsup:

Guliver_TwiSt

Passed Driver's Ed
I can appreciate the huge effort but cannot see the point to this. He may as well build a kit car and be far happier with the end result.

argue53

Go Kart Champion
interesting without a doubt.. i'll give him credit for the effort and work. If it makes him happy at the end of the day then good for him...

btw, I read somewhere that the aluminum cage is actually good. I dont have my facts straight so i'll leave it at that, but i do recall reading somewhere that the aluminum cage is lighter and just as good as any other.

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
my understanding (from bicycle frames, so excuse the tangent) is that under a particular load, steel will bend but basically remain as strong, aluminium will snap.

i'd take the extra weight of steel if i wanted a functional cage.
but that may not have been his aim.

there are usually one or two metallurgy-engineery types floating about who could clarify the material properties :) they'll be along shortly.

BarneyBoy

...and it's only a 1.4?
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GT
I wonder if PolarBear and that guy are related at all?
You know - Brothers from anotha Mutha... :biggrin:

That's a seriously stripped out Golf, isn't it?

With regards to the aluminium roll cage, it'll depend on the grade he's chosen - aircraft grade and similar is as strong as buggery, so shouldn't be a concern in that department.

Aluminium is not a malleable metal, and so while it will bend once, when you try to bend it back, it tends to fracture/snap - unlike steel. I'm guessing that with a roll cage that if you augured in, you'd be up for a new cage anyway, so that may be a moot point.