GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do I...

Mayday5

Ready to race!
How do I know if my struts are going bad? I have an 08 mkv gti with 60,000 miles. The tires on it are only about 10,000-12,000 miles old and they have severe cupping on the inside of the back tires. I have always rotated on schedule and got an alignment about 5000 to 7000 miles ago. VW dealership never mentioned anything, they just said to replace the tires when I asked them to rotate them. They never mentioned anything about the suspension. Went to tire shop and they showed me the cupping. I told them the age of the tires and they said it might be due to the struts going bad. Is this true? Should I just get new tires and an alignment or should I just get a new suspension, new tires and an alignment?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Mayday5

Ready to race!
sorry, I haven't had a chance to get pics yet. Though it is not flat spots in different areas. They are worn out on the inside of the tires. And I didn't understand why since the tires were still somewhat new, but shouldn't have been worn yet. They are just worn on the inside of the back tires

shinta

Banned
you'll feel it when your shocks go bad. when your car going over a bump, you will oscilate up and down a few times before it settles down.

Mayday5

Ready to race!
is it possible that I just went too long without an alignment? i am driving around and do not feel anything in the suspension that is out of the ordinary. it doesn't bounce, the ride is still firm and everything. i did more research and people said a tell tale sign is that it starts bouncing more and that it is noticeable. The car still feels firm and normal. Did I just go too long without an alignment? how often should i get an alignment to prevent this from happening? i get the tires rotated every service interval like the manual states. thanks

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Could've been alignment. But, if any part of the suspension is worn, the inside as described "cupped", can be a result. It can be anything from worn connections to bad dampers(shocks/struts). And even, though rarer, poorly balanced tires. Dampers will bounce more than recover when bad. Also a sign of leaking fluid means they are done. But cupping can happen without feeling a difference and is more likely due to alignment or loose bushings. It happened to me once shortly after replacing the tires and having it aligned, but all it takes is a good bump or two. So you just gotta keep an eye out on the wear as you go.

Check 'Cupping';
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html