GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How best to look after my TDI?

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Hi,

Just after some tips on how to look after my TDI, as at the moment there is no smoke and obviously being nearly new it's generally very healthy.

What I have in mind is:

- Avoid short runs.

- Take on 40-min motorway/A road run once a fortnight if short journeys were done.

- Only use Shell Vpower Diesel where possible.

- Don't go over 4,000RPM (I don't feel the need to anyway as most of the torque is before that).

- Service regularly (10,000 miles) and change oil every 5,000 miles.

Am I missing anything, is any of what I said incorrect?

Am I better off posting this in a diesel forum?

barisk

Ready to race!
you don't need to use v power, just use good diesel!
all the other things are correct.
now and then push the car abit so it doesn't get lazy ;)

HXP

Ready to race!
Bodywork

Not teaching anyone to suck eggs

- keep the bodywork up to scratch with a regular wash / Wax ( not polish* )

- any bird droppings remove asap left for a day in hot weather can destroy paint - I keep a bottle of Meguiars final detail & some rags to deal with birds

- Interior gets a going over every couple of weeks

Apart from that enjoy the car!

* polish contains a mild cutting agent Wax ( synthetic or natural ) is a coating

Hobby55

Ready to race!
Just drive it as normal, it's built for that!

I think some of the points are OTT such as oil changes, even the GTD is every 10k isn't it? So why bother doing more, cars have changed a lot since the old bangers we used to run and so has oil so it shouldn't need "extra" servicing...

Short runs are no issue as long as you do other ones as well...

4kRPM?! Never seen that in all the diesels I've driven over the past 20 years, there's no point as the torque has long gone! That's petrolhead driving best left to them... (It used to annoy me when the TG crew used to rev the balls off diesels and then say they had no power... Stupid presenters, drive it properly and don't assume all engines deliver power the same way!)...

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Just drive it as normal, it's built for that!

I think some of the points are OTT such as oil changes, even the GTD is every 10k isn't it? So why bother doing more, cars have changed a lot since the old bangers we used to run and so has oil so it shouldn't need "extra" servicing...

Short runs are no issue as long as you do other ones as well...

4kRPM?! Never seen that in all the diesels I've driven over the past 20 years, there's no point as the torque has long gone! That's petrolhead driving best left to them... (It used to annoy me when the TG crew used to rev the balls off diesels and then say they had no power... Stupid presenters, drive it properly and don't assume all engines deliver power the same way!)...

Oil might be OTT but I'd rather be safe than sorry for what it costs (just oil change isn't very expensive).

I meant 4k RPM as a maximum, and generally not going over 3k, as you say - there's no point in a diesel and you feel the power before that. If I'm pushing it I normally shift as the torque starts to disappear, which I think is just over 3k.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!

- any bird droppings remove asap left for a day in hot weather can destroy paint - I keep a bottle of Meguiars final detail & some rags to deal with birds

* polish contains a mild cutting agent Wax ( synthetic or natural ) is a coating

Thanks, good info.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!

So this stuff that I bought last week is no good then as it is a polish? http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tr...olish-wax/autoglym-super-resin-polish-1-litre

Ronin3

Ready to race!
As mentioned above, normal Shell Diesel is good enough and has lots of additives. Shell make quality fuels. If you feel ordinary Shell won't keep the engine clean, use a Forte Diesel Treatment product every 12 months. Depending on the nature of your driving 5K oil changes may be too keen. Modern engine oil is highly detergent so too frequent changes could be doing more harm than good. Oh and every now and again, get the turbo really hot to get rid of any carbon build up, once the engine oil is warm of course.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
IMO, going over 3500 RPM is wasting your fuel. I see no point in shifting any higher than that. I find that Shell, V-power or BP ultimate seem to make the Golf TDI happy. But getting fuel from a busy station is best, fresh fuel is your engines best friend. Be it diesel or gas. (petrol)

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
For the first few thousand miles keep a close eye on the oil and coolant levels. It's widely reported on here that the 2lt TDI consumes a fair bit of oil and the coolant level drops way below the minimum.

I only had to top the coolant up once, I think there must be air trapped when it's filled at the factory. I've done 10k miles and it doesn't appear to be using any oil now.

HXP

Ready to race!
Polish V Wax

So this stuff that I bought last week is no good then as it is a polish? http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tr...olish-wax/autoglym-super-resin-polish-1-litre

Don't want to get too deeply scientific as I am not a car polish expert in any way - not saying is is 'no good' but the key phrases are

AUTOGLYM SUPER RESIN POLISH 1L Autoglym Super Resin Polish 1L is an easy to use polish that will rejuvenate your paintwork

Removes light scratches, scuffs and marks

It does all this with a mild abrasive ( so a very very weak t-cut ) - on a brand new car the paint work should be immaculate and does not need anything else other than a good wax.

Don't get too hung up on it I was just pointing out the difference.

http://www.carwaxwashpolish.com/dif...eal-differences-between-car-polish-waxes.html

http://www.performancemotorcare.com...en-car-wax-and-car-polish-and-why-it-matters/

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/35838/best-polish-and-wax

Stripey

Ready to race!
Hi,

Just after some tips on how to look after my TDI, as at the moment there is no smoke and obviously being nearly new it's generally very healthy.

What I have in mind is:

- Avoid short runs.

- Take on 40-min motorway/A road run once a fortnight if short journeys were done.

- Only use Shell Vpower Diesel where possible.

- Don't go over 4,000RPM (I don't feel the need to anyway as most of the torque is before that).

- Service regularly (10,000 miles) and change oil every 5,000 miles.

Am I missing anything, is any of what I said incorrect?

Am I better off posting this in a diesel forum?

I've had diesels for the last 20 years and have one now.

I don't do any of the above but it's your car so do what you feel is right.

I can confirm there is no noticeable effect of using the expensive diesel on performance.

The active dpf regeneration will take care of any short journey soot build up.

Oil these days is designed to go 18k+ between changes, but it depends what oil you have in there...long service or 'normal'. I don't know the technical terms! I just leave everything to the dealer when it goes in for a service. My previous diesel needed an oil change after the first 1000 miles but these vw's obviously don't as I had a first oil change at about 24k which did seem a bit weird but who am I argue.

High revs don't hurt, but as you say, what's the point!

I think as long as you keep to the service intervals, it should be fine. Most older cars get knackered because they don't get properly serviced. Bit like teeth......leave it 10 years to go to the dentist and you can expect loads of work done but go every 6 months and any major issues can be prevented!