GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HKS/FORGE/a.s.o. - best BOV in MK5 GTI!?

mike_mayers

Hello Guys!

I just registered to your community after having read lots of things in other forums...but this one seems to be the one with the best posting-quality :D

I'm from Austria, 25 years old and owner of a MK5 GTI, '05 with a DSG gearbox!

So far, the car is quite stock....and i think that this should be changed :D

I'm searching for a BOV that fulfills all my following wishes or rather answer some questions:

1) not to loud, no "twitter" sound...rather decent

2) is there a hybrid valve, that - let's say - dumps 20 percent of air and keeps 80 percent in circulation?

3) what about the throttle response of the engine with a changed BOV? is there a delay or is it rather faster than with the stock valve?

4) how does the ecu cope with an atmospheric valve, will it adjust to the new conditions easily or is there a decrease in power to be expected?

I also had a look at the leading manufacturers of BOV (HKS, Forge,...), but I couldn't really figure out the best solution for my GTI....so maybe also your experiences would be welcome in this thread...maybe there is one valve that simply works best on all 2.0 TFSI engines...

If a kind of thread like this is already existing, please cut me some slack :D

greetings from austria!

michael

vagike

stock diverter valve with CAI

AbL_FTR

FTR Performance TX
Car(s)
MKV Jetta GLI
I had the Forge DV SPACER and i felt that my car was jus losing the air which could of been boost so i jus took it off and ran with my stock Rev D Diverter Valve. And my boost was peaking higher than before at 21-22psi. Im APR stage 2 by the way

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
is there a hybrid valve, that - let's say - dumps 20 percent of air and keeps 80 percent in circulation?

we already have one. diverter value recirculates :bellyroll:

the "blow off sound" comes with the change in harmonics from the intake. some argue a spacer does, but you'll notice when you slap on an intake how audible forced induction is.

I turn heads going down the street if that is anything for you. sometimes it gets annoying but you'll like it over time.

IF you really want to, get a eurojet DV relocate, but an upgraded version of the stock DV will suffice.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Ya, like Revo said, the stock DV is loud enough to turn heads when you use an open element air intake. It sounds even more loud after you get a software tune and run more boost.

The factory dv + intake should meet your needs. The Revision D factory replacement dv sounds even louder and is more durable. The aftermarket Forge dv sounds better still, but isn't necessarily a performance improvement over the Revision D..

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
so you just recommend a cold air intake and no atmospheric BOV? what about the blow-off sound then?

greetings

michael

I got a used neuspeed p-flo intake for like $120 and my car made all sorts of Pshhh! sounds at every shift, with no other changes. Before the intake I couldn't hear the dv at all. With the revision D you can hear the dv from literally 100 ft away. Sounds very fast n furious.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
i have a forge and love it. plus customer service is on point

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
i have a forge and love it. plus customer service is on point

Hey Jose, did you ever run cai with the stock dv? I wonder if the stock dv + cai combo sounds as loud with the dsg as it does with 6mt where the car purges more boost between shifts. I'm thinking with dsg the OP might wanna go straight to Forge...

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I had the Forge DV SPACER and i felt that my car was jus losing the air which could of been boost so i jus took it off and ran with my stock Rev D Diverter Valve. And my boost was peaking higher than before at 21-22psi. Im APR stage 2 by the way

Sounds like a fluke. Anytime the DV is closed, the spacer is literally doing nothing - just like it isn't there. Maybe you had a leak in the DV, or where the spacer met up with the DV?

To answer your other questions, you won't feel really any difference in the throttle response, and the ECU adjusts appropriately without issue. The 2.0T ECU is pretty advanced, and it won't have any problems. Forge does make a hybrid valve, though I don't know if it will work on the 2.0T.

Overall, I would go with a DV relocate setup. Try that for a while, it might give you the sound you want. The spacer is neat and cheap, but sounds a bit weird. You can search for YouTube clips to see what I mean. Just sounds like a city bus. If you do a DV relocate and still want more, the relocate setup will give you all the plumbing you need to put in any normal BOV that has the correct size bungs.

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
nope, got one on my 2.0T FSI and two on my 2.7T.

$35 for the diverter valve and it'll hold 30psi reliably and it sounds great.

Okay, well they're commonly used on the 1.8T. Either way they're quite small, and you'll still need all the plumbing for the 2.0T relocate, and a block-off plug for the factory DV. If you just get something like the BSH relocate kit, you get all of those things plus a much nicer Forge DV which is substantially larger.