GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hissing when dipstick removed

richcreek

Ready to race!
I washed my car, then went for a drive, I didn't have very much power and boost was erratic at best. I pulled the dipstick with the car running [because I heard this was a test for a blown PCV valve] and instead of the idle just getting rough like it usually does, I just get a hissing sound that sounds like its coming from the middle of the engine cover. I think its the PCV valve, but I'm still on stock programming. So I was just checking on here to see if anyone knew if this was the PCV or something else.

Thanks!
Matt Richcreek

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Well, I know removing the dipstick is going to cause even more vacuum loss, but I'm not sure what happened when the dipstick was still intact. I know when my vacuum once was screwy the noise pipe plug that I had in came loose, but if you've got the stock noisepipe intact, that's unlikely to what happened. It could be related to the PCV system.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
how is removing the dipstick when the car is running a test for checking the PCV? I'm just curious, I've never heard of that... I'd be curious to try it myself.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
ahhh, I see. I'll have to try and remove the dipstick while the engine is running sometime then and see if it hisses or not because I swear the car has been feeling slower after its first oil change and I've also noticed more oil consumption.

thanks for the clarification!

BOz

Keep right except to pass
Car(s)
08' MKv GTI
if you pull out the dipstick with the car running your creating a vacuum leak.. if you have an intake you will hear it sucking in air also when its removed.. I have never heard of pulling the dipstick to check the PCV.. I pretty sure you have to disconnect it and see if you can blow through one end.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
if you pull out the dipstick with the car running your creating a vacuum leak.. if you have an intake you will hear it sucking in air also when its removed.. I have never heard of pulling the dipstick to check the PCV.. I pretty sure you have to disconnect it and see if you can blow through one end.

well if that's the case, where can I disconnect the PCV and do this check? and if I can blow through one end, does that mean everything is okay? or is something wrong?

I'm just concerned because I swear the car isn't feeling as quick as it did before its first oil change. I'm fairly certain it's not the DV because my car is a 2008 and I think it has the 'G' revision (the one right before the latest 'D' revision) and plus I think it would throw a CEL pretty easily if the DV was toast and that it would also feel SIGNIFICANTLY slower if the DV were dead.

I've also heard that I should be hearing some kind of howling at low revs or something if the PCV is dead, but I'm not entirely sure what this howling is supposed to sound like. when I'm accelerating slowly at low speeds, I do hear a kind of hollow wind sound from the front of the car as well as a kind of low-pitch whistling almost from the engine bay (which I guess could almost be considered a howling), is that the howling that is being described if the PCV is gone?

let's just say, it's driving me nuts. either something is actually wrong with the car since its first oil change, or I just suddenly got used to how fast the thing feels. but I mean, before its first oil change it consumed NO oil at all, but now I've added almost a quart of oil in the last 2000 miles (give or take 1000) or so (which some have said is pretty much normal).

BOz

Keep right except to pass
Car(s)
08' MKv GTI
the oil consumption is normal.. To check the PCV take off your engine cover. pull off the end of the pcv closest to the front of the car, leaving the rest attached. wipe it off and try to blow through it. if you can blow through its fucked.

There are many threads about it. Im sure if you searched checking pcv you'd get some hits and a DIY.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
the oil consumption is normal.. To check the PCV take off your engine cover. pull off the end of the pcv closest to the front of the car, leaving the rest attached. wipe it off and try to blow through it. if you can blow through its fucked.

There are many threads about it. Im sure if you searched checking pcv you'd get some hits and a DIY.
thanks for the help! I'll have to check it out.

any insight though on this howling sound that people say I should be hearing though if the PCV is busted? I can't seem to find a better description for it besides 'howling'. is my description in my previous post above accurate? anyone have any ideas?

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
small update if anyone is curious:
I disconnected the PCV and tried blowing on it, no air went through, then tried sucking air through, air came through easily, so I'm assuming everything is fine there.

however, when I took off the engine cover I saw some oil around the oil filler cap area at the base. is it possible for the PCV to be going bad if the check I did above passes but I see oil around the oil filler cap area? the oil might be there though because I may have been a dumbass when putting more oil in the engine, but I bought a funnel so that won't be a problem anymore... so I guess I'll see.

but yeah, if checking the PCV turns out fine but oil is still around the oil filler cap, could that still mean the PCV could be going bad?

thanks again for all the help!