GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Mileage Driver + GTI = Bad Idea?

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
all cars have problems, and some folks may have owned a car in the past and had a bad experience and could be turned away for life, others may have really good experiences and be a loyal customer for life. No car come w/o its own problems, Honda is very well known having high mileage vehicles, VW is a drivers company, people that drive VW's aren't your average car owner. In the end it all comes down to how comfortable you feel, and only you can make that decision, if you work for honda I don't understand why you can't get a killer deal, however if you really want to set your fast loose, then go with the GTI, and enjoy that 82 mile trip everymorning, Either way good luck and happy car shopping

bilbos

On the Kop
As I think I mentioned in another thread, I used to have a Mk3 GTi and at one point I was travelling 150 miles on the commute to and from work. I kept this up for about 6 months (18K miles) and never had a single thing go wrong with the car. The engines that VW produce IMO are pretty much bulletproof (both the 1.8T and now (hopefully) the 2.0T). They should easily be good for 200K+ if well maintained.
I do have to say that I have experienced electrical problems with previous VW's (ABS sensor on the Mk3 GTi, temp sensor on my 2000 Beetle and the legendary dashpod problems on the Audi's) so I think there is some truth to the rumours but, at the end of the day, these problems didn't cause me to be stranded at the side of the road which is where I think the ownership experience becomes sour.
If you are the sort of person who expects perfection from you car, then the GTi may not be the car for you, but as far as I am concerned, the driving experience of the GTi far outweighs everything else.

i think there is 1 major issue that hasnt been addresed about hondas and volkswagen...EXPLETIVE THIEVES!

now with hondas new high-power, high revving, K series machine (Si) theres no doubt that thieves have their eye on them already!!!!!

id rather have my GTI breaking down on me,(if it does) then waking up one morning and having my car stolen or stripped with my engine missing, :mad: and having a theft recovery or salvaged title at the end.
but then again thats just my opinion cuz its crazy around here especially with hondas. :frown:

"waiting for 07 GTI" :wub:

LordNikon

Autocross Champion
Shovels said:
The electrical thing is a myth methinks....pereptrated just as already explained in another thread.

Not really. VW Window regulators are famous for their failures and we're not talking about one or two but thousands.

LonestarMKV

Drag Racing Champion
Hokietuner said:
all cars have problems, and some folks may have owned a car in the past and had a bad experience and could be turned away for life, others may have really good experiences and be a loyal customer for life. No car come w/o its own problems, Honda is very well known having high mileage vehicles, VW is a drivers company, people that drive VW's aren't your average car owner. In the end it all comes down to how comfortable you feel, and only you can make that decision, if you work for honda I don't understand why you can't get a killer deal, however if you really want to set your fast loose, then go with the GTI, and enjoy that 82 mile trip everymorning, Either way good luck and happy car shopping

Well said :thumbsup:

LordNikon

Autocross Champion
I didn't know that was considered "bitching" :iono: if I was, then sorry. Next time don't jump to conclusions so quickly.

gti5dr06

Autocross Newbie
JerseyDubber_82 said:
i think there is 1 major issue that hasnt been addresed about hondas and volkswagen...EXPLETIVE THIEVES!

now with hondas new high-power, high revving, K series machine (Si) theres no doubt that thieves have their eye on them already!!!!!

id rather have my GTI breaking down on me,(if it does) then waking up one morning and having my car stolen or stripped with my engine missing, :mad: and having a theft recovery or salvaged title at the end.
but then again thats just my opinion cuz its crazy around here especially with hondas. :frown:

"waiting for 07 GTI" :wub:

I suppose that may be true for the US for now, but on tyresmoke.net a member was held at GUNPOINT for his car keys to the GTI, so I don't think that should necessarily be a reason to get the gti, because it'll be stolen less??

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
from my experiences with all of these "vw problems" i hear about, they are always after people have ripped the engines apart to put in huge turbo kits, chips, exhausts, etc...i have a hyundai elantra GT right now, (i know i know, hyundai sucks ass, but they are reliable as hell, and i had bad electrical problems with it when it was still under warranty but nothing else has ever given me any types of problems). the point is, any car has its problems, and but vw is no worse than any other company out there. if you are just out there to have a comfortable and damn good looking ride, then get the golf, you won't be disappointed. as my friend hokietuner said so eloquently, go take that 82 mile ride every morning and enjoy it! i would just advise that you keep the powertrain relatively stock, coz there is enough power on tap already, just maybe do a nice suspension for winding country roads (if there are any where you live, coz there are down here in blacksburg :)...)

cant wait to graduate so i can try to afford my 5 door golf and dump the GT!!! good luck with your decsion

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
oh and to clarify, im not talking about window regulator problems, i am talking about major problems that would mean being stuck on the side of the road when i say "vw problems"

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
5 years 60,000 on the powertrain says it all, if honda is so reliable why do they only offer 3 year or 36,000. Besides Honda like all jap car companys sell there cars everywhere and japan has high tarriffs on anybody elses products. If you want to support japan buy a honda, If you want to support the country you live in buy a VW or any other fair trade car company.. Besides civics are a dime a dozen, not everybody has a FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!