GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Here we go again. Pcv oil issue?

MkVme

Ready to race!
I have the bsh revamp and went to check my oil today. The dip stick showed half a quart gone already and its only been 200 miles.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347558262.365743.jpg

You can see a color difference here on the neck. Not any fluid though. It's like it dried on, hard to explain. Any time I top it off with oil I wipe down any drips or spills.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347558516.681350.jpg

I've had a pretty heavy foot these last couple hundred, but the amount of oil lost is way more than it should be.

Thoughts?

vagike

crank case is being over pressured.

guess the pcv revamp needs to be redesigned.

vagike

i personally think BSH PCV fix is a stupid design. Why would i want to take the crank case vapors and condense them in my intercooler.

...but thats just me

vwangler

Keep ur $ I <3 my clunker
Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
1. That small amount of oil does not equate to a 1/2 quart of oil.
2. Have all of your dip-stick readings been done with the engine at a consistent temperature?
3. If your crankcase was 'over pressured' as vagike so nicely put it, you'd be billowing out blue/white smoke from your exhaust.

MkVme

Ready to race!
1. That small amount of oil does not equate to a 1/2 quart of oil.
2. Have all of your dip-stick readings been done with the engine at a consistent temperature?
3. If your crankcase was 'over pressured' as vagike so nicely put it, you'd be billowing out blue/white smoke from your exhaust.

1., no but if its burning off somehow?
2. usually, today was after I got to my lunch spot - so a few minutes after turning off the car.
3. Noticed once when taking off around a slow truck some white smoke.

vwangler

Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
i personally think BSH PCV fix is a stupid design. Why would i want to take the crank case vapors and condense them in my intercooler.

...but thats just me

What's your justification for blaming BSH here... judging by what the OP is explaining the car has always been burning oil, and he got the revamp in an effort to fix what he thought was a failing/failed PCV valve. All the revamp does is prevent boost pressure from ever coming into play... i.e. keeping it vacuum only... just like every other design out there whether it be a CC or not. What you are talking about is blow-by... which is common in boosted applications, and will occur with or without the block-off plate.

vwangler

Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
1., no but if its burning off somehow?
2. usually, today was after I got to my lunch spot - so a few minutes after turning off the car.
3. Noticed once when taking off around a slow truck some white smoke.

Trust me, you'd be billowing smoke at idle... it would be very very obvious. The smoke you saw was probably you just burning off some carbon deposits.

vagike

If your crankcase was 'over pressured' as vagike so nicely put it, you'd be billowing out blue/white smoke from your exhaust.

in the extreme cases, yes I would agree. But the OP is not presenting that issue.

since that OEM PCV system keeps the crank case under a vacuum, anything above that is a form of over pressuring.

vagike

What's your justification for blaming BSH here... judging by what the OP is explaining the car has always been burning oil, and he got the revamp in an effort to fix what he thought was a failing/failed PCV valve. All the revamp does is prevent boost pressure from ever coming into play... i.e. keeping it vacuum only... just like every other design out there whether it be a CC or not. What you are talking about is blow-by... which is common in boosted applications, and will occur with or without the block-off plate.

While my views are on my own opinion, you obvious don't even understand BSH's PCV system then.

There is no vacuum or boost seen because it is no longer connected to the intake manifold.

The only way for vapor to get into the turbo inlet is to have the crank case build enough pressure so the vapors become continually forced into the the turbo inlet.
Is like a catch can step, but you are bypassing the use of a catch can.

Even BSH would attest to this or it would be a bold face lie

vagike

if the CNC bypass port in BSH's PCV is not large enough, it will over pressure the crank case.

vagike

Trust me, you'd be billowing smoke at idle... it would be very very obvious. The smoke you saw was probably you just burning off some carbon deposits.

doubt it.

vagike

Plus, there was nothing in my first post attributing the BSH PCV fix to the OP's burning oil issue.
So, vwangler, take your comment and shove it up your a$$.