GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with an issue with a brand new 2014 GLI.......

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
So, I have had 2008 GTI, a 2012 GLI, 2014 GTI (don't ask), and now have a new 2014 GLI. I purchased the car last Friday and yesterday I noticed a metallic rattling/humming sound that started, that is loud enough to be heard over the radio when it is on volume level 7. It is coming from the front engine area, maybe to the passenger side, but I can't be certain. I already have a problem with my left ear which makes it more sensitive to sound and this is just overwhelming when driving.

The noise generally lessens when at idle and goes away almost entirely when I push the clutch in. It seems to follow the RPM's in intensity/loudness to a point, but seems worst in the first few gears. I went from 3rd to 4th today and it dropped off significantly, even when I gave it a bunch of load/throttle.

I almost at first thought it was some kind of grounding issue, where I was getting the high pitched noise through the audio system/speakers, but that does not appear to be the case. I have had 10+ turbo cars and this is not "normal" turbo noise. Again, it is present at idle to a lesser degree and goes away even more, to the point of not really being anything out of the norm, when I push in the clutch at any time, parked or while driving.

I had a bunch of issues with my 2014 GTI and just spent several months dealing with VW around things, to finally end up with them "helping" me into another vehicle. I understand this is not the worst or most important issue in the world, but I can't go through this with them again........I just got the darn car less than a week ago. My car is my escape, my stress-relief, my hobby......I have been so depressed the last couple of months. I just can't believe this.......

Any ideas? I was thinking water pump, but I think that would be a constant noise. I was thinking pully/bearings somewhere also. I don't think it is the PVC. Maybe a boost leak, but the nature of the sound seems off to me to be that. The car only has like 200 miles on it ........

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Come on, no one can fix my car simply and effectively over the internet? How can that be? The internet can do anything.......I can't believe it.......:(

GTIBex

Ready to race!
Wouldn't that be under the warranty? Take it back to the stealership. Sounds like you might be avoiding them.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Throwout bearing. It used to be a common issue, but I thought revisions had solved it. The only thing making it stop is pushing in the clutch....it's pretty self explanitory..

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Wouldn't that be under the warranty? Take it back to the stealership. Sounds like you might be avoiding them.

I don't know if dealerships are amazing where you live, but not so much in my area/experience. If I can fix something myself I would rather do that. The less people that touch/drive my car, the better. The car has all of like 200 miles on it and is stock.

That said, I made an appointment to bring it to the dealership tomorrow morning.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Throwout bearing. It used to be a common issue, but I thought revisions had solved it. The only thing making it stop is pushing in the clutch....it's pretty self explanitory..

I just can't/don't want to believe that is it on a brand new car. I hate the thought of people tearing into my car.

GTIBex

Ready to race!
Yes if the sound stops when you push in the clutch it is prob the throwout bearing.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

GTIBex

Ready to race!
My car is my escape, my stress-relief, my hobby.

I wouldn't say that cars are in any way stress-free. I am sorry that you are having trouble with your new car. Hopefully your dealership will cover it under warranty. My dealership seems pretty great here, but they said they are the #3 sales VW dealership in the US.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Could be a number of things, but given that it sounds like it's clutch/flywheel related, take it to a dealership.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
At the dealership now. Went for a ride with the tech and he heard the noise. He is unsure what it is at this time. He is going to drive another 2014 GLI to see if that makes the sound as well and then go from there.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Yep, had issues, so VW helped me into a different vehicle.

Just drove a different 2014 GLI, which did not make the noise. They are going to look at it some more, but will probably have to schedule an appointment with the regional tech to look at it.