GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat wrapping manifold, turbo, dump results inside

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
Hey guys just wanted to share a $50-100 mod that has made a huge difference to the way my car behaves.

I have a scangauge 2 so I can monitor the Intake Air (IA' ) temp versus the outside temp on the MFD. All tests are with the car cruising so that heat soak and thrashing are not issues. Just cruising at 60mph.

BEFORE

Outside Temp 25'c 77'f ----- Intake Air Temp 34'c 95'f
Outside Temp 30'c 86'f ----- Intake Air Temp 42'c 106'f
Outside Temp 35'c 95'f ----- Intake Air Temp 48'c 120'f

Before wrapping my cars engine bay was pouring hot air after a drive and all the components were hot to the touch, the turbo area was painful to touch.

AFTER!!

Outside Temp 25'c 77'f ----- Intake Air Temp 29'c 83'f = -5'c -12
Outside Temp 30'c 86'f ----- Intake Air Temp 36'c 97'f =-6'c -9
Outside Temp 35'c 95'f ----- Intake Air Temp 43'c 110'f =-5'c -10

AVERAGE DROP! = 5.3'c or 10.3'F

All the engine bay components are cool to the touch usually and the car is not reducing timing like it was before so there is more hp than before for sure.

Definitely worth the effort. To get into the tight spaces I taped a cable tie to the end of the wrap and threaded it around like a needle and thread.

Dark Anghell

Go Kart Champion
Nice! I have some DEL heat wrap sitting in my garage, enough to do my downpipe and probably the cool side of my intercooler piping. Also DEL makes heat shield/sleeve for the turbo.

POLARBEAR666

Ready to race!
No i didn't soak it. But i installed it snug but not tight at all. So the metal can expand underneath without stretching it tight for sure. also make sure u wear a face mask so the fibreglass dust does not get into your lungs.

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
do australian GTIs come with a boost gauge instead of a temp gauge?

Dark Anghell

Go Kart Champion
No i didn't soak it. But i installed it snug but not tight at all. So the metal can expand underneath without stretching it tight for sure. also make sure u wear a face mask so the fibreglass dust does not get into your lungs.

Yeah I already have my intake wrapped. This could be a good Sunday project for me.