GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlights flickering and turning off

MkVme

Ready to race!
Hopefully someone might have a suggestion. Ive been to the dealer and they say everything is connected fine and functional and that no codes are being thrown.

However when driving, of I hit a bump or make a hard turn my head lights will flicker on and off. I've looked and can't find anything wrong. No idea what's causing it. It's almost like something is getting briefly disconnected.

If anyone has an idea of what I can check or what the problem might be it would be much appreciated.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Car(s)
2011 GTI CCTA
Check the housing, and the wire harness. Something isn't seated probably, or your have a loose connector, or decaying/shorting wire somewhere. Just pull out the headlights, which is simple really, and check all connections. It might be inside the housing itself... is it one or both headlights that do this? Maybe a loose bulb?

MkVme

Ready to race!
Both lights. Everything is tight from what I can tell. I'll try pulling it all out this weekend. From what I can see without taking it all apart it's all connected. Dealer said a couple screws were loose but didn't find anything else.

o6RSGTI

Ready to race!
i had the same problem with the right side headlight. the bulb wasn't install properly it was loose.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
Your bulb might be on it's last leg.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Car(s)
2011 GTI CCTA
Both lights? Take the bulbs out and check them, and try to clean the contacts up a little. Maybe even replace them. See if your issue is remedied then.

Be gentle with the bulbs when inspecting/cleaning/replacing.

trialerror00

Ready to race!
Car(s)
k04 GTI & watermeth
what he ^ said.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Maybe, but BOTH headlights are flickering, together? Are they both doing it at the same time? In other words, are both flickering "on and off" in unison? What are the odds of it being both bulbs, both sockets, both ballasts, or the wiring to each headlight or ballast? If that's what's really happening it has to be a common electrical feed, and the only thing I can think of is the fuse box, the headlight switch or a relay. Maybe even a fuse or the fuse box. Someone here who is familiar with exactly how they're wired will need to comment.

MkVme

Ready to race!
Maybe, but BOTH headlights are flickering, together? Are they both doing it at the same time? In other words, are both flickering "on and off" in unison? What are the odds of it being both bulbs, both sockets, both ballasts, or the wiring to each headlight or ballast? If that's what's really happening it has to be a common electrical feed, and the only thing I can think of is the fuse box, the headlight switch or a relay. Maybe even a fuse or the fuse box. Someone here who is familiar with exactly how they're wired will need to comment.

Its hard to tell sometimes if both have gone out. I think normally, its the drivers side. But then sometimes ( like last night for example ) i was coming home and hit a bump and my headlights went completely out for a few seconds until the came back on. No CEL or lights on the dash.

I agree with what you're thinking about the wires or fuse. There's def some sort of electrical feed being cut off. Im going to dig around a little after work and put my other set of bulbs in (OEM) and see if I can find anything. I cringe every time i see those lights flicker

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Car(s)
2011 GTI CCTA
Ah so you have aftermarket bulbs currently in? Suspecting the bulbs even more now. A fuse wouldn't be intermittent like that, but a wire, or lead would if it's loose in the connector port housing. I originally suggested removing the headlights and tracing the wires back. Not necessarily de-pinning everything, but just inspecting the connectors to make sure they're clean and not caked up with mud or dirt, or aren't burned up.

Now that you say you have aftermarket bulbs, there's a strong possibility they're cheap-o crap and might've begun to shake apart due to general driving.