GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight leveling sensor problem after coilover install

TBear681

Ready to race!
Like the title says, i got the coils installed today only to notice tonight while driving home that my headlights keep going crazy and re-adjusting themselves while i'm driving. The weird/ironic part is that when i turn the wheel to full left or full right, while parked, they'll try and re-adjust as well. I installed the back coils myself last week and the headlights were fine, which leads me to believe that the problem is with the front sensor. Without having access to a jack at the moment, what could be the problem? Could the sensor not have been put back on properly, if at all? Was it not disconnected prior to the front suspension install, causing it to be confused and just keep re-adjusting? I've read on vortex that re-setting the headlight leveling to the default settings via Vagcom will do the trick, but at the same time i've also read numerous other responses to fixing the problem. Anybody come across this same situation that can help?
Thanks in advance!

GLIDN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 Golf GTI TR
Would be interesting to know the answer too.

I have read, you can re-adjust the sensors on the arms, after the install. Then the basic settings reset as you stated.

I have personally not yet tried this, as I'm still having to install my suspension in my car.

Elwood

3-7-77
My guess is that whoever installed your coils didn't know about the sensors and both front and rear are broken. If they were paying attention, they may have forgotten to reconnect them or got the elbow facing the wrong way. Several threads on this with pics.

TBear681

Ready to race!
My guess is that whoever installed your coils didn't know about the sensors and both front and rear are broken. If they were paying attention, they may have forgotten to reconnect them or got the elbow facing the wrong way. Several threads on this with pics.

I installed the rear suspension myself and took all precautionary steps in taking the sensor off and back on again. And like I said, the problem only started to occur after the front suspension was installed, so the back sensor is fine, as far as i'm concerned.

Starfox92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
CW GTI 6 speed
I would say get it up and check the front then. If they were fine after the rear install then it means they must have been messed up during the front install. I'm sure the front one is either pointed incorrectly or not connected at all.

TBear681

Ready to race!
just took a look at the sensor and it is connected, but which way should it be pointed? As it sits right now, it looks like it's pointed inward. Is this correct?

Starfox92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
CW GTI 6 speed
Nope it should be pointed outward. Pick for reference. Notice it is pointing towards you, not away from you.

TBear681

Ready to race!
Nope it should be pointed outward. Pick for reference. Notice it is pointing towards you, not away from you.

Just got back from the dealer and after they re-set the default settings for the headlight leveling, it still was doing the same thing. I just jacked it up and it is indeed pointing in the right direction. However i feel like the top rubber piece should be all the way in the leveler (the metal tube). I took a picture of what it looks like so hopefully it's easier for some to diagnose.

SlickGTIMKv

United_Euros
Car(s)
2009 MKV GTI 6MT
If the leveler wasn't disconnected during susp. install, they very well may have over rotated the leveling sensor. Don't know a fix for this, but my buddy that does all my work at the dealership said it's no bueno.

stringshifter6

Nom Nom Nom
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Just got back from the dealer and after they re-set the default settings for the headlight leveling, it still was doing the same thing. I just jacked it up and it is indeed pointing in the right direction. However i feel like the top rubber piece should be all the way in the leveler (the metal tube). I took a picture of what it looks like so hopefully it's easier for some to diagnose.

That picture shows that the leveler wasn't removed prior to dropping down the arm. The joint popped out of the metal tube. You can see where they tried to crimp it but it didn't hold.
You can pull the metal tube off and remove the rubber joint that isn't inserted correctly. Straighten the metal tube and then force the rubber portion back all the way in. It will go down to the all the way to the collar. Then crimp the metal tube and check that the rubber isn't going anywhere. It may take some force or a little grease to get the lower ball joint back together but it'll go.

Last edited:

yung_wallace B5

RACE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Car(s)
06 MKV GTI
Yup and getting it back in the tube is a major pain in the ass, don't ask me how I know

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
same problem here. Had no time to do install my self so dropped it off at a mates shop and got my car back from them and my lights are going nuts at night time and trying to auto level on hard right turns and dips on the road.
from the research i have done and the threads i have read, I think i have the two sensors installed the correct way(and yes both were removed prier to dropping the whole assemble unit read for the install).- Front sensor is on the left(drivers side) axle pointing < and the one on the rear swing arm its on the drivers side pointing <(both are pointed to the outside of the car.[drivers side])
from what i have read all seems to be correct so im a little lost on what to do next as i cant get access to vag com, nor to the vw dealer as i cant get my car in their due to the height of my car and the bad entry ramp to the dealers.:mad0259: any help would be great..do these need re calibrated or something?
pics of how they sit now after the install.(sorry for being so large, sent from my iphone)In the pics they both seem to be in the correct position so I'm now lost and confused.. Help needed please.
On all the threads started no one has ever updated it with the fix other than vag com and cancelling the auto leveling all together. I don't want to do this if it can be helped.
none of it makes sence to me in the fact of, how are they going to work the same now with the car so much lower and the "<" being more like a backwards "7" surely that alone is enough to mess up what the lights are meant to do? wish i had vag com now more than ever! please help.

Edit. Fixed two days later. The fix iono. I swapped them round for one day so facing to passengers side with no avail. Switched them back and all worked correctly. I think it had been swivelled upside down if that makes any sence? Don't know what I did really but all is working as it should:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1752.jpg
    IMG_1752.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 15,779
  • IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1753.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 20,756
Last edited: