GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI III VR6 vs GTI V 2.0T

TheGr8Scuda

Go Kart Newbie
Here's the deal it was because of my college roomate who had a GTI III VR6 that I myself picked up this mint GTI V.:headbang: Yesterday I was driving and this guy had a GTI III VR6 dropped...It looked nice and brought back so many memories. So I went to give him the heads up and show him some respect and he kinda just turned his nose at Beast (thats her name) as if his VR6 was too good for me.:barf: I don't know what was up with all the animosity but I was just trying to show some love for the Dub. My question is ofcourse how does the VR6 compare to the 2.0T?

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
TheGr8Scuda said:
Here's the deal it was because of my college roomate who had a GTI III VR6 that I myself picked up this mint GTI V.:headbang: Yesterday I was driving and this guy had a GTI III VR6 dropped...It looked nice and brought back so many memories. So I went to give him the heads up and show him some respect and he kinda just turned his nose at Beast (thats her name) as if his VR6 was too good for me.:barf: I don't know what was up with all the animosity but I was just trying to show some love for the Dub. My question is ofcourse how does the VR6 compare to the 2.0T?

The VR6 in the MkIII was only 172 HP. Also less torque than the 2.0T.

So, it would basically be a slug compared to the MkV.

And it's so unattractive compared to MkIV and MkV, IMO (I had one, hated the looks)

GTI2007

I saw on a site from Holland a guy with a Golf MKIII VR6 on the dyno and he made 179 HP and 245 Nm (181 lbs-ft) and according to Wikipedia the Golf MKIII VR6 engine makes 172 HP and 173 lbs-ft. That isn't that much out of a 2.8 liter engine

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
Kurupt-MK5 said:
put it this way... that guy's car is a little bitch compared to your car
:laughabove:

TheGr8Scuda

Go Kart Newbie
Kurupt-MK5 said:
put it this way... that guy's car is a little bitch compared to your car

:laugh:

Thanks, thats good to know...next time I'll wink at his girl and leave him choking on my exhaust. :evil:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Im too lazy to look up the numbers but wouldn't the mkIII be a lot lighter? I would suspect hp/wt ratio to be about the same. Just guessing...

No, MK3 VR6 GTI/Jetta GLX weigh about 2900 pounds. I had a 98 Jetta GLX VR6 with the 5 speed, and while I really miss the sound, it's not nearly as fast as the 2.0T engine. I'd say they're mid 15 second cars stock. Also, the stock cams didn't pick up until 3500rpm. Under that, there wasn't much power. I know before I had my GTI, a CW GTI was on my ass in some twisties and I was actually amazed at how fast it was. Now I realize how fast they are.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I had the 12v in a MKIII GTI, and the 24v in a MKIV GTI. The 2.0t is night and day faster than the previous VR6s. Sound of the VR6s with aftermarket exhaust made me quite happy.

vw4ross

Autocross Champion
I have both a 12v VR6 MKIII and a 2.0T MKV GTI. Your MKV would smoke the 12v VR6. My VR6 is fast at higher RPM's, but kinda slow at low rpm's in 1st and 2nd gear. My MKV takes off like a rocket from a stop, and has plenty of power at top end, to pass to people at highway speeds.

I wish my MKV could sound like my VR6 with it's cat back system, and the MKIII is still a pretty fun car to drive. Me thinks the MKIII driver was a little jealous of you and your MKV. I have encountered that before too...I have love for all VW owners, don't know why other people can't be the same.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I have both a 12v VR6 MKIII and a 2.0T MKV GTI. Your MKV would smoke the 12v VR6. My VR6 is fast at higher RPM's, but kinda slow at low rpm's in 1st and 2nd gear. My MKV takes off like a rocket from a stop, and has plenty of power at top end, to pass to people at highway speeds.

I wish my MKV could sound like my VR6 with it's cat back system, and the MKIII is still a pretty fun car to drive. Me thinks the MKIII driver was a little jealous of you and your MKV. I have encountered that before too...I have love for all VW owners, don't know why other people can't be the same.

Nice Ginster DE.:thumbsup: I definitely miss my VR6, especially when I got the Magnaflow Catback. My custom intake growled like no other. People would always look.:laugh:

BTW, if your friend has any type of aspriation (Read: S/C or turbo), then it would kill us. They're no joke compared to the 2.0T when they're aspirated.

Sinan

Schnell, bitch! Schnell!
Car(s)
VW Rabbit MkV
:laugh:

Thanks, thats good to know...next time I'll wink at his girl and leave him choking on my exhaust. :evil:

haha...funny you say that. :biggrin:

I was playing with a some kind of Chevy truck. Later on a green light, I found out that he was a diesel. He basically threw black smoke at me and left me saying WTF!. :eek: But I do it sometimes in my TDI, so I understand what he was trying to get at. :clap:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
What year Chevy truck? If it was a newer Duramax, they're no joke. The older ones had a 5 speed Allison and the new ones have a 6 speed Allison. They're 360hp and 650 tq stock I think. I've driven them at work and for a 7000+ lb truck, they're fast. With a Banks Power Package, they can be running mid 13's easily. No joke.