GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Geneva Motor Show 2009

BarneyBoy

...and it's only a 1.4?
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GT
Keep an eye out starting March 3 for the Geneva Motor Show:

"Volkswagen will reveal both three and five-door production versions of its MkVI Golf GTI as well as an R32-replacing Golf R20T."

source: John Mellor's GoAutoNews

In other news:

"VOLKSWAGEN Australia is considering introducing an LPG Golf that could halve fuel costs.

The factory-fitted dual-fuel system, which promises CO2 emission reductions of 10 per cent, was revealed at the Bologna motor show last December. At this stage, the Golf BiFuel is only available in left-hand drive, but Volkswagen Australia is now considering requesting the car also be produced in right-hand drive.

The Golf BiFuel runs a 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine on either petrol or LPG.
When fed with LPG, this engine produces 76kW with a fuel economy figure of
9.2L/100km compared with 7.0L/100km when it is running on petrol.

Based on fuel prices at the time of writing, the Golf BiFuel would cover 100km for $8.25 on petrol and just $3.39 on LPG. The dual-fuel system uses a 41-litre tank stored in the spare wheel recess in the boot. Volkswagen claims the LPG componentdevelops a single-fuel LPG extends the range of the Golf BiFuel by 420km for a total of 1100km."

Too bad it's not a diesel/LPG combo... :biggrin:

And:

Cost may scuttle VW's standard Scirocco for Australia, but hot R on the cards

THE Volkswagen Scirocco is increasingly unlikely to make it to Australia in standard form, but there is hope for a high performance version.

At this stage Volkswagen Australia is unable to source the regular Scirocco at a price it is happy with, but is more confident about being able to sell an R version of the sleek coupe.

Rest of story here:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/7E544FF1B7769DF1CA25755A00123D69

My take: they're crazy - drop the 3 door Golf GTI and bring all the Scirocco models in.
Model differentiation will then be 3 doors versus 5. Product planners are idiots.

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
"Volkswagen will reveal both three and five-door production versions of its MkVI Golf GTI as well as an R32-replacing Golf R20T."

Yes yes yes! hate to say this, but this will be a decider on the path of my life... bring on March the 3rd :biggrin:

Nice find Barney :thumbsup:

I love this place sometimes :happyanim:

Nardi330

Euro > JDM
Car(s)
08 Golf GTI 5dr DSG
regarding the Scirocco:

“It has not been confirmed for right-hand drive and hasn’t been confirmed for hot countries (including Australia), but we are keen,” she said.

that's BS. it's already selling in UK!! and a few asian countries are getting it (eg. Hong Kong).

iluvbrownale

White Lightning
What bollocks. Time to deconstruct the reasoning:

“We have a really unique situation with GTI and we have to be really careful,VW Australia is concerned the Scirocco could take sales off the GTI if the prices of the two were close.

So they really think that they wouldn't increase sales at all? they'd merely canibalise the GTI sales? Rubbish. Sure you might not sell as many GTI's but if you sell more GTI's AND Scirocco's then you're ahead.

“People would be torn between cars,” said Ms Dierks.

Yep. And they're both from YOUR brand. And this is a bad thing because.....? What a frikkin awesome problem to have!! i bet there's a few other car companies wishing their customers 1st and 2nd choice cars were sitting in the same showroom....

“There is only a small space for the Scirocco, if we can’t fit it in there it would be odd in the market.

The word, and i can't believe i'm hearing a PR not using this word, is "unique". This side of a used TT, what else is there? The new Mini had no problem carving its very own unique place in the market so why not the Scirocco?

Bottom line is, when i decide to change the GTI, i'm very unlikely to go for the same thing again. Hot Golf buyers bought into the zeitgeist as much as the handling/performance mix and as i see on this forum, when time comes to replace, a fair few members go off to BMW, Mini, Audi showrooms for the next 'hot new thing'. I'll make a bet with VW that in 5 years the GTI sales will be well down on current sales, not because the car is worse, but because boredom inevitably sets in and buyers want something different.

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
Spoke to My dealer today, while i was checking out the New CC (NICE car btw, so well made inside, beautiful seats and dash set up :drool:)

Asked me if i was still interested in trading my GTI for the R32, but i said i was waiting for news on the Upcoming MK6...

To which he replied we would not be getting a new R32(knew this) But instead GTI's with 2WD and 4WD :happyanim:

Does this meen it's official?!

lhturbo

Mod Addict
Car(s)
MKV GTI with DSG
R20t

If we (North America) don't get the new R20T I'm going to petition outside VW of NA here in Virginia.

that would be a foolish decision on their part...I'm confident the demand would outweigh the supply for this exciting new car.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
Spoke to My dealer today, while i was checking out the New CC (NICE car btw, so well made inside, beautiful seats and dash set up :drool:)

Asked me if i was still interested in trading my GTI for the R32, but i said i was waiting for news on the Upcoming MK6...

To which he replied we would not be getting a new R32(knew this) But instead GTI's with 2WD and 4WD :happyanim:

Does this meen it's official?!

dealers will say anything to get you to come back and do business, but it's still possible

BarneyBoy

...and it's only a 1.4?
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GT
regarding the Scirocco:

“It has not been confirmed for right-hand drive and hasn’t been confirmed for hot countries (including Australia), but we are keen,” she said."

that's BS. it's already selling in UK!! and a few asian countries are getting it (eg. Hong Kong).

Yeah, true.

And don't forget Cyprus: right hand drive, very hot & dry (like Australia) - and the Scirrocco is sold there (along-side the GTI). And it's available with FOUR different motors.

And last time I looked, the population of Cyprus was 800,000 people - just slightly(!) less than Australia's.:bs:

stedes

Car(s)
VW Golf GTi DSG
Hi guys. I can confirm Scirocco has been on sale in Cyprus (45 degree summers) since May 2008. I personally test drove a 2.0TFSi in early June 2008 (demo) and I think first deliveries were September 2008 (not 100%) sure. Cyprus is Right Hand Drive and set for km/h speedos (identical to Aussie cars) by the way so all that "not confirmed for hot weather" is big BS in my opinion. Not only that it has actually been available with 4 engines (2.0TFSI/1.4 TSi (122/170bhp) and 2.0Tdi) and the smaller 1.4TSi came with 7 speed DSG as did the Mk5 Golf since Q2 2008. Good info there Barneyboy. What's going on here then?

BarneyBoy

...and it's only a 1.4?
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GT
Hi guys. I can confirm Scirocco has been on sale in Cyprus (45 degree summers) since May 2008. I personally test drove a 2.0TFSi in early June 2008 (demo) and I think first deliveries were September 2008 (not 100%) sure. Cyprus is Right Hand Drive and set for km/h speedos (identical to Aussie cars) by the way so all that "not confirmed for hot weather" is big BS in my opinion. Not only that it has actually been available with 4 engines (2.0TFSI/1.4 TSi (122/170bhp) and 2.0Tdi) and the smaller 1.4TSi came with 7 speed DSG as did the Mk5 Golf since Q2 2008. Good info there Barneyboy. What's going on here then?

Like I said in the 1st post: "Product planners are idiots."
They would have got away with bullshitting Australia before the Internet - they can't anymore.
Either VWA are liars, or they are incompetent and don't know their own product. Or mebbe a bit of both :biggrin:

I haven't looked at any other RHD VW sites, but remembered the Cyprus site when VWA said we couldn't get the Ed30 because of the hot weather (Cyprus did, however).

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Plausible deniability is the name of the game.