GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Yes you can use a floor jack. The Swisstrax tiles can take something in the lines of 50,000lbs per square inch without any issue. The only thing they warn agains is using jack stands that have sharp feet, versus ones that have flat feet. The sharp footted ones can leave marks after use.

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Lots of good youtube videos on the swisstrax. Watching youtube videos on epoxy applications and swisstrax is what ultimately pushed me away from epoxy and towards swisstrax (plus the significant cost savings: $8600 vs $5400 CAD). I am only a week into swisstrax ownership, but so far I am very confident in the purchase. I'll report back after next winter, when I do the first deep spring clean which might involve me taking out big sections at a time to deep clean underneith.

From what I gather though, a simple thorough pass over of a shop vac will suck up 98% of the dirt right through the swisstrax channels.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A forum member was nice enough to give me a HF tool cart for free, and that combined with getting an actual air impact has kick started this springs obsession of "garage/tool organization". Last year was "auto detailing" 🤣

1000005837.jpg

This allows my standard tool chest to hold regular/household tools, and the tool cart to be car/mechanic specific.

So far I've moved everything out of the individual hard plastic cases (things like torx bits, triple squares, hex, etc...) and moved those to socket rails. Socket organizers for the 3 different shallow/deep sizes. I got a cutlery organizer to hold all my extensions and swivels, the rack thing above to hold power tools... Ordered a wrench holder, but that hasn't come in yet.

My next thing will probably be a 36x72 cabinet to replace the shelving unit that's right to the left of that.

BigLips19

Car(s)
'19 GTI SE 6MT
A forum member was nice enough to give me a HF tool cart for free, and that combined with getting an actual air impact has kick started this springs obsession of "garage/tool organization". Last year was "auto detailing" 🤣

View attachment 304257

This allows my standard tool chest to hold regular/household tools, and the tool cart to be car/mechanic specific.

So far I've moved everything out of the individual hard plastic cases (things like torx bits, triple squares, hex, etc...) and moved those to socket rails. Socket organizers for the 3 different shallow/deep sizes. I got a cutlery organizer to hold all my extensions and swivels, the rack thing above to hold power tools... Ordered a wrench holder, but that hasn't come in yet.

My next thing will probably be a 36x72 cabinet to replace the shelving unit that's right to the left of that.
Tool organization brings me so much joy

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
That's what I'm trying to figure out for the new garage.
I've already got a medium sized rolling box, but have been looking at a combination of Home Depot's Husky brand garage storage solutions.
Just big cabinets, work bench smaller cabinets...
Is there anything anyone here can't live without?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
That's what I'm trying to figure out for the new garage.
I've already got a medium sized rolling box, but have been looking at a combination of Home Depot's Husky brand garage storage solutions.
Just big cabinets, work bench smaller cabinets...
Is there anything anyone here can't live without?
If transport on occasion is a thing for you, the toolbox systems are key. I have a couple of the Dewalt toughsystem kits, some drawer boxes, mechanics toolset, and a variety of other things, and that stuff saves me a ton of time on track days. Just roll it on the trailer and call it good, then roll off on track.

A decent workbench is also key.

Otherwise, the husky tool chests from home depot can be a good value and often times they have sales on them between big sale periods (like after memorial day or before fourth of July), where stores are trying to get rid of inventory. Just saw a whole 10 drawer 27" husky kit at thd for 350$...will probably go back for it in black.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
If transport on occasion is a thing for you, the toolbox systems are key. I have a couple of the Dewalt toughsystem kits, some drawer boxes, mechanics toolset, and a variety of other things, and that stuff saves me a ton of time on track days. Just roll it on the trailer and call it good, then roll off on track.

A decent workbench is also key.

Otherwise, the husky tool chests from home depot can be a good value and often times they have sales on them between big sale periods (like after memorial day or before fourth of July), where stores are trying to get rid of inventory. Just saw a whole 10 drawer 27" husky kit at thd for 350$...will probably go back for it in black.
Appreciate the insight. For me, portability is not key. I do have one rolling cart/toolbox that is probably all I need.
I really just need to figure out storage solutions for all of the other crap.
Right now I have a small shed on the outside of the garage for lawn equipment - which I will not have at the new house. Inside the garage I have wall and ceiling storage.
I will probably utilize a little bit of wall space in the new garage for some racks and bike storage like I have now.
But the ceilings are too high for ceiling storage to be easy. Unless I get some sort of mechanical one that I can raise up or down.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Appreciate the insight. For me, portability is not key. I do have one rolling cart/toolbox that is probably all I need.
I really just need to figure out storage solutions for all of the other crap.
Right now I have a small shed on the outside of the garage for lawn equipment - which I will not have at the new house. Inside the garage I have wall and ceiling storage.
I will probably utilize a little bit of wall space in the new garage for some racks and bike storage like I have now.
But the ceilings are too high for ceiling storage to be easy. Unless I get some sort of mechanical one that I can raise up or down.
In your case I'd say then the toolbox kits are probably not the best bang per buck.

I've personally found that with the weight and expense of tools, a cheap storage solution isn't really a thing. The husky stuff is a pretty solid value on sale. They work quite well and unlike some of the "built in kits" they do have usable weight ratings. It can still get expensive though. Northern tool also has some sales around this time of year and they have some good stuff. Since you have height, you could always install a ladder system and some compartments up higher out of basic cabinetry. They run like 100-150$ per box with doors, and they're really easy to install.

If you need to lock the toolboxes with any sort of security, then the more expensive end is your only option. The cheaper stuff is broken into easily. I don't mind, since I don't have a theft problem here but I do use the locking feature to keep my 4yo out of things. The 3-400$/ tool chest seems to be about the right cheap to durable value proposition for my case.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For $1800 I'd DIY a workbench and shelves out of 2x4, 2x6 and plywood 🤷‍♂️

I build my first workbench almost 20 years ago, then recreated a second one to double the space. Have tool storage on the shelves below.
Not me, I'm not building anything that's not on the car, haha.

Bro be building shit to withstand a nuclear blast over here...
Truly, looks at least 3x as sturdy as the deck at the house I used to rent.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Not me, I'm not building anything that's not on the car, haha.

Truly, looks at least 3x as sturdy as the deck at the house I used to rent.
LOL. Mine's cedar 8x8s and pressure treated 2x12s. Also ready for that nuclear blast. His workbench and my deck will be the last vestiges of our civilization.