GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Frickin Great Monday morning - bent my Luff

revaudi

Oval Newbie
On my way to work this morning and a truck had apparently dropped a 4x4 across the width of the entire lane. I was doing 60 and traffic was pretty steady so I couldn't see too far ahead. Car in front of me hit it straight on.

I was able to only get it with the passenger side but it hit frickin hard. The cargo truck behind me with duallies out back blew a tire, big puff of black smoke and then he pulled over. I fully expected to have 2 bent wheels and flats. The rear wheel is fine but the front passenger wheel is bent, real nice flat spot on the rim. Tire appears fine but I'll have Discount Tire check it out. We'll see if it is flat when I go out to lunch. Just pisses me off since I am so careful. This was like hitting a parking lot speed bump at 60. It wouldn't of mattered what wheel I would have had in 19s, they would have bent. I would be a lot more pissed if I spent $500+/wheel than what I did pay.

Great start to a week. It will be even better if I have a flat, since I forgot the lug adapter at home so I won't be able to change to a spare. Crap.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
I am gussing u didnt know the trucks plate number of the truck that lost the 4 x 4, also see what insurance says to it, i had it were something off the truck infront of me flew off and hit the front of my car (not my GTI) and i asked my insurance company, and they said that they will take care of it, and my rates didnt go up bc it was not my falt in any way (kind of how a hit and runs works) but then again every comapy is diffrent...see what they say...

but that sucks to hear that...atleast u didnt blow out a tire and damage any body work....

revaudi

Oval Newbie
I have no idea how long the 4x4 had been there and didn't see the vehicle that dropped it. I am calling DOT to see what they say; hopefully they have more reports; don't know if they can do anything. Deductible still applies on insurance. Cost of wheel is less than the $500 deductible so I won't be going that route.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Very sorry to hear that. Hey, It's a beautiful day in the Twin Cities. Go out and have a nice lunch outside somewhere. You'll feel better.

revaudi

Oval Newbie
MHS216 said:
Very sorry to hear that. Hey, It's a beautiful day in the Twin Cities. Go out and have a nice lunch outside somewhere. You'll feel better.
Problem is that I will have to take my car to get there. :thumbdown:

Nimble

Oval Champion
Nurendra said:
Tell that to my old BBS CH's and SSR Integrales :iono:

BBS CH's are not forged.
SSR integrals was "semi" solid forging.

End of story.

Alf means a REAL forged wheel like a Kinesis, Fikse, BBS LM, etc

Accel

Rally Car Champion
Nimble said:
BBS CH's are not forged.
SSR integrals was "semi" solid forging.

End of story.

Alf means a REAL forged wheel like a Kinesis, Fikse, BBS LM, etc

He could replace all 4 of his Luffs and still have spent less then BBS LMs or similar.

revaudi

Oval Newbie
Like I said, I am happy I didnt spend $500+/wheel, regardless if they were forged or not. I am actually happier than having the 17s on there, as they would probably be more expensive to replace and those would have bent or wrecked a tire for sure.
Problem is now getting hold of 1 Luff wheel, when DTM has a lengthy order queue. Kingson is trying to hook me up though.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
Accel said:
He could replace all 4 of his Luffs and still have spent less then BBS LMs or similar.
of course. but im jsut saying. a forged wheel is a forged wheel. revaudi, i hope everything goes well with getting the wheel replaced.

Nimble

Oval Champion
revaudi said:
Like I said, I am happy I didnt spend $500+/wheel, regardless if they were forged or not. I am actually happier than having the 17s on there, as they would probably be more expensive to replace and those would have bent or wrecked a tire for sure.
Problem is now getting hold of 1 Luff wheel, when DTM has a lengthy order queue. Kingson is trying to hook me up though.

Good luck with that. I'm sure they'll be able to hook you up. Those wheels do look much like the BBS LM, and as you said, 4 Luff's cost less than one LM haha.:eek:

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I had forged rims costed about 3k... and I'm pretty sure they would have bent too in revaudi's situation. I wonder how the rest of his car is like.