GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Fiesta XR4

Nicholas

Vanilla Bear
I just found this article and thought I'd share.
Its from http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=36431&GalleryType=1

Ford Australia will again take on Volkswagen's GTI brand in May when it launches the Fiesta XR4 baby hot-hatch.

The company rebadged Europe's Focus ST as an XR5 Turbo in 2006 to rival VW's Golf GTI, and at the Melbourne motor show it announced it will be introducing a rebadged Fiesta ST to tackle the German brand's Polo GTI.

The light-car market is Australia's biggest-growing segment and Ford is the latest manufacturer to import the range-topping, hot-hatch version of its smallest vehicle.

XR4 is powered by a bigger engine than the 74kW 1.6-litre four-cylinder used throughout the current Fiesta line-up. A tweaked version of the 2.0-litre four used in the Focus increases power to 110kW, as well as raising the torque figure from 146Nm to 190.

This engine teams with a five-speed manual boasting closer gear ratios than regular Fiestas, the lowered and stiffened suspension sits on low-profile Pirelli P-Zero tyres, and larger brakes are fitted.

The three-door-only XR4 also has plenty of sporty visual cues to make it stand out from the usual Fiesta crowd. Front and rear bumpers are bulkier, the front air intake is wider and deeper, and the tailgate features a spoiler.

Open the hot-hatch's doors and there are XR4-branded scuff plates, sports seats, and leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift.

Safety features include front, side-curtain, and side-thorax airbags, stability control, traction control.

"We are confident this junior hot hatch, with its combination of European styling, German engineering and outstanding driving dynamics, will take the class by storm," says Tom Gorman, Ford Australia's president.

"Fiesta XR4 delivers a further performance offering to Ford motoring enthusiasts, [and] it is going to be a successful and eye-catching addition to the hot-hatch range," says Gorman.

Ford Australia says it will launch specification details and pricing nearer to the car's launch, but the Fiesta ST in Europe sprints from 0-100km/h in 7.9 seconds and has a top speed of 129mph (208km/h).

Expect pricing for the XR4 to be about $25-26,000, making it competitive with not just the Polo GTI ($26,990) but also the other two main rivals in what is currently a very niche segment - Suzuki Swift Sport ($23,990) and Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart ($29,990).

Ford Australia says it is selling every Focux XR5 Turbo it imports - about 40 per month - and is hoping to achieve similar figures for the Fiesta XR4.

Nicholas

Vanilla Bear
Personally, I'd rather a Polo Gti if I couldn't afford a Golf. But Its always good to have other competitors out there in the compact market.

Last edited:

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
looks nicer then the XR5

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
yeah i like it better then the XR5 too, im a bit dissapointed with it though as i was told it was going to be a turbo but it aint got not snail......

i too would prefer the Pogo GTI out of them all too. or a clio sport actually

SSS_Hoon

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
yeah i like it better then the XR5 too, im a bit dissapointed with it though as i was told it was going to be a turbo but it aint got not snail......

i too would prefer the Pogo GTI out of them all too. or a clio sport actually

SSS_Hoon

I'm the same, I can't believe they didn't go with a turbo. I think I'd buy a Polo GTI before this as well even though I'm a huge Ford fan.

Steer

With Ford chassis dynamics, it'll probably be a pretty decent drive. There's a reason why VW poached Ford Europe's Vehicle Dynamics Manager before developing the Golf V.

bigg

tastylicious golf owner
my brothers got 1 red ith white stripes and its a very nice car, i think they didnt put a turbo on it because that is the biggest engine they could put in and there is absolutly no room in the engine bay.

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
I had a deposit on one of these (I have a Fiesta Zetec now and I love it to death). But decided on an upgrade instead - when you take into account residuals, the cost of ownership isn't that much different.